More water parks open
Besides Wild, Water & Wheels in Surfside Beach, which opened Friday for the summer, the other two local water parks will make their first splashes of 2014:• Splashes Oceanfront Water Park, across from Family Kingdom Amusement Park, 300 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach. Opens 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily through June 6 and Aug. 10-Sept. 1, and 10 a.m.-6 p.m. June 7-Aug. 9. 916-0400 or www.familykingdomfun.com.
• Myrtle Waves Water Park, at Mr. Joe White Avenue North Extension and at U.S. 17 Bypass in Myrtle Beach. 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. daily through Monday, and May 31, and on June 1 and 6, Aug. 18-19, 23-24 and 30-31, and Sept. 1, 6-7 and 13-14; and 10 a.m.-7 p.m. June 7-Aug. 17, and staying open until 9 p.m. on “Family Night” Wednesdays: June 11 and June 25-Aug. 13. 913-9260 or www.myrtlewaves.com.
Pick a special outing
Various special events are lined up:• Fourth annual “Dirty Myrtle Mud Run,” by Festival Promotions of Myrtle Beach, an obstacle course races about 3 miles long for adults, 1 mile for children, Saturday at Waterbridge development, on Carolina Forest Boulevard, 4.5 miles from U.S. 501 and 2.6 miles from River Oaks Drive, for individuals ($60 each – males 9 a.m., females 9:20), teams of four people ($220 – males 9:40 a.m., females 10:20), co-ed teams ($220 – 10 a.m.) and children ($20 – 11 a.m.). 712-2618, 888-404-9933 or www.dirtymyrtlemudrun.com.
• Boy Scout Troop 891 annual barbecue benefit, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. at Socastee United Methodist Church, 5575 Dick Pond Road, Socastee. 650-3373.
• “Preschool Play Date,” for ages 4 and younger, 10-11:30 a.m., for $5, and “Catch Me if You Can,” with live raptors from The Center for Birds of Prey in Awendaw (971-7474 or www.thecenterforbirdsofprey.org), 2:30-4 p.m., for $10, both at Hobcaw Barony, on U.S. 17, just north of Georgetown. Registration required at 546-4623. www.hobcawbarony.org.
• Cruise-ins, both free, by Myrtle Beach Car Club (742-9802), 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Maggi D’s Fine Italian Cuisine, 407 Seaboard St., Myrtle Beach, across from Coastal Grand mall; and by Hot Rod Promotions (503-8245), 1-4 p.m. at Firehouse Subs, 5407 Dick Pond Road, Socastee, near Food Lion.
• Georgetown Area Daylily Club “Daylily Exhibition,” 11 a.m.-3 p.m., near center court inside Inlet Square mall, at U.S. 17 Bypass and U.S. 17 Business in Murrells Inlet. Also, vote for favorite, with announcement of winner at 3:30 p.m. 546-3559 or www.brownsferrygardens.com.
• “Memorial Saturday Music & Cookout,” noon-6 p.m. at La Belle Amie Vineyard, 1120 St. Joseph Road, Little River, just west of North Myrtle Beach Middle School, with music by Stringwood and by Laidback Larry. $3, or for free with donation of two canned/dry food items for local food banks. 399-9463 or www.labelleamie.com
• “The Wizard of Oz” student play, 3 and 7:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday at Myrtle Beach High School, on Grissom Parkway, between 29th and 38th avenues North. $12. www.mbhsperformingarts.com.
• “An American Rock Band: Music of the Rock Revolution (1965-73)” by Brunswick Little Theatre, with concerts by a 10-piece band, 8 p.m. Saturday-Sunday at Franklin Square Park in Southport, N.C. Free. 910-471-7741 or www.brunswicklittletheatre.com.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeach