We’re kicking off summer with festivals, free concerts, and Memorial Day celebrations. Here’s a list of budget-friendly events that will take place over the next few weeks:
• The Sounds of Summer Concert Series starts tonight at the Sandhills Bank Amphitheater at the North Myrtle Beach Park & Sports Complex. Admission is free. The concerts will be held every third Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. through Sept. 19. Tonight’s band is Jive Mother Mary (Southern rock). You can find the complete schedule athttp://parks.nmb.us/Page.aspx?id=18
• Every Saturday through October 25, The Market Common will host a Farmer’s Market on Deville Street from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Admission is free. Items for sale will include fresh, locally grown produce and locally caught seafood, and handmade items.
• The 33rd annual Blue Crab Festival will take place on the waterfront in Little River on Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Admission is $3 in advance; $5 at the gate. Go tohttp://www.bluecrabfestival.org/
for advance ticket locations and to print a free child/student pass. The festival includes live music, arts & crafts vendors, food and beverage vendors, a kids’ area, a beauty pageant, and more.
• Pottery Barn is hosting a free class on Sunday at 10:30 a.m. on “Outdoor Entertaining.” All attendees will also get a 10% discount on featured products. Registration is requested 238-0361.
• The Annual Myrtle Beach Memorial Day Weekend Parade will take place on Saturday at 10:30 a.m. The parade starts at 27th Avenue North and goes south on Ocean Boulevard to 9th Avenue North. Admission is free. After the parade, there will be a picnic with music, military, exhibits, and kids’ activities at the old Pavilion site. The picnic is free for all military personnel, veterans and their families.
• The Town of Surfside Beach is holding a Memorial Day Cookout from 4 to 8 p.m. on Sunday at the Surfside Beach pier. Admission is free. This event includes live music, concessions and inflatables. You might want to bring a chair.