Things to do in the Myrtle Beach area on May 4
05/03/2014 5:00 PM
05/02/2014 9:52 AM
Slew of special events• Cinco De Mayo Fiesta 5K, from Carlos’ ‘n Charlie’s at Broadway at the Beach in Myrtle Beach – Mascot Family Fun Run at 8:30 a.m., Fiesta 5K 9 a.m. Registation opens 7 a.m., for $15 and $30, respectively. Details at www.teammyrtlebeach.com.
• Grand Strand Amateur Radio Club training class, 9 a.m. at Surfside Beach Fire Department, 115 U.S. 17 Business N., Surfside Beach. Free, but FCC-approved test afterward is $15. w4gs.org.
• Cruise-in by Hot Rod Promotions, noon-3 pm. at Cheesesteak U, 1867 S.C. 544, Conway, near Food Lion. Free. 503-8245.
• Benefit by local firefighters for victims of Calhoun and Lotus Court fires, noon-6 p.m. at Dead Dog Saloon. Dead Dog Saloon, 4079 U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet, including silent auction. 651-0664 or www.deaddogsaloon.com.
• Annual Miss Ruby’s Kids “Garden Party” and auction benefit, 4-7:30 p.m. at Kimbels at Wachesaw Plantation, on Wachshaw Road, overlooking Waccamaw River, near Murrells Inlet, including live jazz by the Hi Lo Duo. $100 per person, benefiting early childhood literacy programs across Georgetown County. 436-7197 or www.missrubyskids.net.
• “Dino Dance Party,” with tribute to Dean Martin by Larry Tanelli, with Tracy Thompson, guest vocalist, 7-9 p.m. at Carolina Dance Partners, 304 S.C. 90 E., Little River. $5. 798-2639.
Pair of concerts• Serendipity Singers’ “From Porter to Disney” concert, 3 p.m. at Trinity Presbyterian Church, 2061 Glenns Bay Road, west of Surfside Beach. Free. 357-2561 or www.serendipitysingersofsc.com.
• “Made in the Shade” 2014 concert series kickoff, 3 p.m. with Long Bay Symphony Youth Orchestra, on lawn at Kaminski House Museum, 1003 Front St., Georgetown. Free. 546-7706 or www.kaminskimuseum.org. (Museum open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, with guided tours 11 a.m. and 1 and 3 p.m. daily. Admission $7 ages 13 and older, $3 ages 6-12, and free ages 5 and younger – and additional $3 for tour of adjoining Stewart-Parker House.)
Two plays on stage
Two community troupes continue plays through May 11:• “Boeing Boeing” by the Swamp Fox Players, 2:30 p.m. Sundays through May 11, and 8 p.m. May 9-10, at Strand Theater, 710 Front St., Georgetown. $15. Details at 527-2924 or www.swampfoxplayers.com.
• “Bonnie & Clyde” by Theatre of the Republic – 3 p.m. (also May 10-11) and 7:30 p.m. May 8-10 – at Main Street Theatre, 335 Main St., Conway. $21. 488-0821 or www.theatreoftherepublic.com.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeach
Join the Discussion
Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.