Things to do in the Myrtle Beach area on March 8
03/07/2014 5:00 PM
03/04/2014 10:54 AM
Six plays continue• “Shrek the Musical,” 3 and 7 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, at Socastee High School, on S.C. 707, near Dick Pond Road. $12 or $17. Details at 293-9041 or socasteeperformingarts.com.
• “Fame the Musical,” finales, 2 and 7 p.m. at St. James High School, at S.C. 707 and Salem Road, in Burgess community, for $8. 650-5600.
• “The Cemetery Club,” finales, 3 and 8 p.m. at Oceanside Village, 1711 U.S. 17 Business S., Garden City Beach, off Melody Lane – across from Tupelo Bay Golf Center and Bi-Lo, for $12. 650-4440.
• “Barefoot in the Park,” 3 and 8 p.m. (also finale, 3 p.m. Sunday) at Stage Left Theatre Company, 3064 DeVille St., Myrtle Beach, in The Market Common, Myrtle Beach, between Nevers and Lewis streets. $15 advance, $18 at door. 232-0339 or www.stagelefttheatremb.com.
• “Monty Python’s ‘SpamALot’ ” by Theatre of the Republic, 3 and 7:30 p.m. at Main Street Theatre, 335 Main St., Conway. $21. 488-0821 or www.theatreoftherepublic.com.
• “The Constant Wife,” by Swamp Fox Players, 8 p.m. at Strand Theater, 710 Front St., Georgetown. $15. 527-2924 or www.swampfoxplayers.com.
Voluminous outing ideas
Some festivals and celebrations include:• American Red Cross Coastal S.C. Chapter “Princess Gala” breakfast, 8:30 a.m. at Travinia Italian Kitchen, in Myrtle Beach, then parade led by knights from Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament through The Market Common to red carpet entrance to Grand 14 Cinema to meet Prince Charming and see a princess movie. $25. 477-0020 or www.redcross.org/sc/myrtle-beach.
• Franklin G. Burroughs-Simeon B. Chapin Art Museum Spring Tour of Homes, six sites across Myrtle Beach, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. $45, available from museum, 3100 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, across from Midway Par 3 and Springmaid Beach Resort. 238-2510 or www.myrtlebeachartmuseum.org.
• Town of Surfside Beach: BBQ Festival, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. on Surfside Drive, with concerts by Sawgrass 11 a.m.-1 p.m., and Josh Brannon Band 2-4 p.m. Free. 650-9548 or www.surfsidebeach.org.
• Remember When Oldies Fest, noon-5 p.m. at La Belle Amie Vineyard, 1120 St. Joseph Road, Little River, just west of North Myrtle Beach Middle School. $8 – also, $3 with donation of two canned/dry good items for area food banks. 399-9463 or www.labelleamie.com.
Coastal Grand Symphony Soloist Competition, 4 p.m. in Andy Owings School of Music & Performing Arts Center, in Coastal Grand mall in Myrtle Beach. Free. 839-1505 or www.andyowingsmusic.com.• “Sweets to Sweets” Celebration and Dinner, with black, white and red casual attire, 6 p.m. at St. James United Methodist Church, 9705 St. James Church Road, in Burgess community. $25. 421-9349.
“Toe to Toe: Canelo vs Angulo” (Canelo Alvarez and Alfredo “El Perro” Angulo in boxing), 6 p.m. at Cinemark at Coastal Grand mall in Myrtle Beach. $18 adult, $17 senior/student, $16 child. $16839-3225 or www.cinemark.com.• Social dance by USA Dance Grand Strand Chapter 6024, in St. Patrick’s Day theme, 7-10 p.m. in Myrtle Beach’s Base Recreation Center. $7 members, otherwise $10. 808-3397 or www.usadancegrandstrand.org.
• National Shag Dance Championships finale, 7:30 p.m. at Spanish Galleon, in OD Beach & Golf Resort, 98 North Ocean Blvd., North Myrtle Beach. $25. 222-6706 or www.shagnationals.com.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeach
Join the Discussion
Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.