Lecture at Brookgreen
“Sojun tu Gullah Geechee,” or Sojourn to Gullah Geechee, a traveling exhibit from the Geechee Kunda Center, in Riceboro, Ga., noon-4:30 p.m. daily through March 16 at Brookgreen Gardens, includes a monthly lecture, 1-2 p.m., starting with Edda Fields-Black, “The Work of Our Hands: Mangrove Rice Production in Coastal Guinea.” Details at 235-6000, 800-849-1931 or www.brookgreen.org.
Details | at gardens, open 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. on U.S. 17 between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach, and free with gardens admission, which lasts seven days: $14 ages 13-64, $12 ages 65 and older, and $7 ages 4-12.
‘Champions of Magic’ gala
Never miss a local story.
The fifth annual “Champions of Magic” gala, part of the “Magic at the Beach” convention, will include talent from around the globe. Tickets available at the theater box office (913-4000). More details at 626-8191 or www.championsofmagicshow.com.
Details | 7:30 p.m. at Calvin Gilmore Theater, home of “The Carolina Opry,” on U.S. 17 Business at U.S. 17, at northern tip of Myrtle Beach, for $45 ages 17 and older, and $25 or $35 ages 3-16.
Slew of special events
Choose from a slew of special events:
• “Itty Bitty Luau Party,” 10-11:30 a.m., for parents and children 6 months to 3 years old, in Myrtle Beach’s Pepper Geddings Recreation Center, 3205 Oak St., including pool games, for $5 city residents, otherwise $10. Details at 918-2285 or email@example.com
• “Remembering Myrtle Beach: A Local History Series,” with Buzz Plyler, whose father founded the Gay Dolphin gift shop, 11 a.m. at Myrtle Beach’s Chapin Memorial Library, 400 14th Ave. N., at Kings Highway, for free. 918-1282 orwww.chapinlibrary.org
• Hot Rod Promotions cruise-in, for all cars, noon-3 p.m. at Tee Box Tavern, 4620 Dick Pond Road (S.C. 544), Socastee, just east of Socastee Hardware. Free. 503-8245.
• “New Year Bonfire,” noon-5 p.m. at La Belle Amie Vineyard, 1120 St. Joseph Road, Little River, including music 12:30-4:30 p.m. by Jerry Jones. $3 ages 18-79, otherwise free; also, bring two canned/dry food items for relay to area food banks and free admission. 399-9463 orwww.labelleamie.com
• “New Paintings by Bruce Chandler” exhibit at Rice Museum Prevost Gallery, 633 Front St., Georgetown, opening with reception 2-4 p.m. 546-7423 orwww.ricemuseum.org
• Rivertown Bluegrass Society, with The Henson Girls at 5 and 7 p.m. and Ken Scoggins & Millers Creek at 6 and 8 p.m., at Horry-Georgetown Technical College Burroughs & Chapin Auditorium, off U.S. 501 in Conway, for $10 members, otherwise $12 . Also, preshow jams at 3 p.m. for any acoustic player; no electric instruments except bass. 457-2854 orwww.rivertownbluegrasssociety.com
• “Light It Up Myrtle Beach” evening of activities for students ages 13-18 with ID, with doors closing at 6:15 p.m. in Myrtle Beach’s Canal Street Recreation Center in MB. 448-3932 or emailDweaver@Horrycountyschools.net
• “A Closer Walk with Patsy Cline,” starring Gail Bliss, finale show, 7 p.m. at Alabama Theatre, at Barefoot Landing in North Myrtle Beach, for $29.54, $34.95 or $39.95. Details at 272-1111, 800-342-2262 orwww.alabama-theatre.com
• Grand Strand Beach Social Dancers’ dance, in “Mamma Mia!” theme, for all ages, 7 p.m. at Grand Strand Senior Center, 1268 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach, with music provided by the duo Karen and Carl. $7. 903-3765.
• House Party Fitness showcase class, benefiting National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Greater Carolinas Chapter (919-834-0678 or www.nationalmssociety.org/chapters/nct/index.aspx), 7-9 p.m. at Revolutions nightclub at Broadway at the Beach, off 29th Avenue North in Myrtle Beach, for $10 donation. 450-2622, 283-0242, or firstname.lastname@example.org
In Brunswick County:
• Commemoration of 149th anniversary of Battle of Fort Fisher, with “The Medical Service at Fort Fisher” program, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. at Fort Fisher State Historic Site, 1610 Fort Fisher Blvd S., off U.S. 421, Kure Beach, N.C., for free. 910-458-5538 orwww.nchistoricsites.org/fisher/
• Artists’ reception 2-5 p.m. for “The Brushwork Society: A Low Country Show,” open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays-Saturdays through March 11 at Sunset River Marketplace, 10283 Beach Drive S.W. (N.C. 179), Calabash, N.C. 910-575-5999 orwww.sunsetrivermarketplace.com
• Dinner benefit – with beef stroganoff, noodles, salad, succotash, bread and dessert – by Knights of Columbus Our Lady of the Rosary Council 9039 in Shallotte, N.C., 6-7 p.m. at St. Brendan the Navigator Roman Catholic Church, 5101 Ocean Highway W. (U.S. 17), Shallotte, N.C., for $13, helping homeless, single, pregnant women and yu0ng mothers through “Room at the Inn” in Belmont, N.C. 910-575-6059.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeach