State parks open daily
Both area state parks are open every day of the year, including holidays, for walks, bicycling and nature and bird watching. Details at www.southcarolinaparks.com.
• Huntington Beach State Park, on U.S. 17 between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach, across from Brookgreen Gardens; call 237-4440.
• Myrtle Beach State Park, on U.S. 17 Business, one mile south of Farrow Parkway/South Ocean Boulevard, across from Seagate Village; 238-5325.
Splash at water parks
All three water parks are open; prices vary by site:
• 10 a.m.-9 p.m. at Myrtle Waves Water Park, at U.S. 17 Bypass and 10th Avenue North Extension. Details at 913-9260 orwww.myrtlewaves.com
• 10 a.m.-5 p.m. at the newly renamed Splashes Oceanfront Water Park, across from Family Kingdom Amusement Park, 300 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach. 916-0400 or
• 10 a.m.-6 p.m. at Wild Water & Wheels, 910 U.S. Business S., Surfside Beach. 238-3787 orwww.wild-water.com
Also, the Trippo inflatable beachfront water slide, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. at First Avenue South and Ocean Boulevard in North Myrtle Beach. 280-5674 or 798-1071.
Family movie Thursdays
The “Summer Kids Series” entails a different family movie at 10 a.m. Thursdays through Aug. 8, continuing with “Rio,” in either of two movie theaters, for $4, including children’s tray with popcorn, drink and snack. Details at www.carmike.com.
• Broadway Carmike 17, at Broadway at the Beach, off Grissom Parkway in Myrtle Beach (445-1616),
• Carmike 12 at Myrtle Beach Mall, at U.S.17 and S.C. 22, near Briarcliffe Acres (272-6598).
Shows fired up
Before fireworks tonight, fire up an outing to see a show, with many choices; prices vary by site:
• “Illusions of Magic” at 2 and 7:30 p.m., at Palace Theatre, Broadway at the Beach, at 21st Avenue North and U.S. 17 Bypass in Myrtle Beach. 448-0588, 800-905-4228 orwww.palacemb.com
• “Pirates Voyage Fun, Feast & Adventure,” 4, 6 and 8:30 p.m. on U.S. 17 Bypass, near northern junction of U.S. 17 Business in Myrtle Beach. 497-9700, 800-433-4401 orwww.piratesvoyage.com
• Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament, 6 p.m., at 2904 Fantasy Way, close to U.S. 501 and George Bishop Parkway, just west of Myrtle Beach. 236-4635, 800-436-4386 orwww.medievaltimes.com/myrtlebeach.aspx
• “The Carolina Opry,” 7:30 p.m. at Calvin Gilmore Theatre, on U.S. 17 Business, near northern junction of U.S. 17 Bypass in Myrtle Beach. 913-8888, 913-4000, 800-843-6779 orwww.thecarolinaopry.com
• “One the New Show,” 7:30 p.m. at Alabama Theatre, in Barefoot Landing, on U.S. 17 in North Myrtle Beach. 272-1111, 800-342-2262 orwww.alabama-theatre.com
Cool off in gardens
“Cool Summer Evenings,” Wednesdays-Fridays through Aug. 9, include a full plate on Thursdays and Fridays: animal programs with Jerry Walls, a naturalist from Hemingway, 5-6 p.m.; performances at 6 p.m. by Theater of the Republic of Conway in the Enchanted Storybook Forest; and “A Pirate’s Journey Along the Creek” cruises at 6 and 7 p.m., for $7. Details at 235-6000, 800-849-1931 or www.brookgreen.org.
’High Steppin’ revue
The “High Steppin’ Country” revue continues its 37th summer on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, with traditional and new country, an Elvis medley, as well as gospel, patriotic and pop. Details at 447-7343 or 447-7359.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows visit MyrtleBeach