Living on the Grand Strand, residents see so much advertising that naturally is geared to the tourist market, which swells at certain times of the year, especially with the granddaddy of them all – summer – about to burst.
However, look around a little and you’ll find various local discounts, with which residents of Horry and Georgetown counties, and often, other proximate locales, can obtain producing an ID. They’re good for movies, bowling, dining out and some shows, and maybe some golf courses.
Some deals are not advertised, so it can’t hurt to ask at a merchant if any locals’ discount is applicable. Here is a sampling of specials:
BROADWAY AT THE BEACH
• 444-3200, 800-386-4662 or www.broadwayatthebeach.com
Broadway at the Beach has a list posted online, and these are the participants, grouped by degree of discount:
• 10 percent off – A Silver Shack, Ben & Jerry’s, Blondie’s (some items), Capriz Italian Feast, Good Time Charley’s, Liberty Steakhouse & Brewery, Planet Hollywood and Sweet Carolina’s, and with sale items excluded: Broadway T-Shirt Company, Heartfire, Just Horse’n Around, Stupid Factory, T-Shirt Connection, Tiki Jim’s, and Wee-R-Sweetz (Horry and Brunswick counties)
• 15 percent off – Hard Rock Cafe (food and nonalcoholic beverages only), Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville, Johnny Rockets – which will give customers a local card denoting the discount, Retro Active, and WonderWorks’ The Works Eatery.
• 20 percent off – Backstage Mirror Maze, Joe’s Crab Shack, and for food only: Carlos ’n Charlie’s and Senor Frogs.
• Amici’s Bistro – Wednesday and Thursdays, buy one pizza or entree, get one free
• “Encounters: UFO Experience” exhibit – $4 off admission for Horry, Georgetown and Marion counties, through May 31.
• Froyoz – two punches on frequent customer card for each 6-ounce cup of yogurt purchased.
• Legends in Concert – $12 off per adult ticket.
• Ripley’s Aquarium – 50 percent off admission (Horry, Georgetown and Brunswick counties)
• Wet Willie’s – 2-for-1 appetizers
• Yours and Mayan – 9 percent off.
Also, WonderWorks has had “Local Appreciation Days” at other times of the year, with reduced admission for residents of Horry, Georgetown and Brunswick counties with ID.
For residents of Horry, Georgetown, Williamsburg, Florence and Marion counties:
• Myrtle Waves Water Park, whose season opens May 11 for weekends, then goes daily June 1 – $24.99 rate – $5 off – plus tax.
• NASCAR SpeedPark – ride wristband – including five go-kart tracks, rock wall, six mini-golf courses and six children’s – for $15.99 rate – $14 off – plus tax (Horry, Georgetown, Williamsburg, Florence and Marion counties).
• Pavilion Nostalgia Park and Carousel Park – Nine-ticket bundle (one ticket per ride) for $15 rate – $5 off – plus tax.
FAMILY KINGDOM AMUSEMENT PARK
• 300 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach; 626-3447 or www.familykingdomfun.com
Show a local ID in the park sales office under the Swamp Fox roller coaster, and buy a rides wristband – which does not include go-carts or the zip lines – for $15, including tax. That’s almost half off the regular rate of $25.95 plus tax.
The park is open for the season, Thursdays-Sundays through May 19, then daily as of May 23.
Evening rates of:
• $7 for residents of Horry and Georgetown counties at Cinemark at Coastal Grand mall in Myrtle Beach (839-3225 orwww.cinemark.com
And at Carmike Cinemas (www.carmike.com):
• Broadway 17, at Broadway at the Beach, $7 (445-1600 or 445-1616).
• Carmike at Myrtle Beach mall, at U.S. 17 and S.C. 22, near Briarcliffe Acres, $7.25 (272-6596).
Note: See more movie theater information on Page 11.
• Waccamaw Bowling Center, 101 Gray Drive, west of Myrtle Beach, off U.S. 501, just west of River Oaks Drive and the Intracoastal Waterway; 236-1020 or www.waccamawbowling.com.
• Surfside Bowl Entertainment Center, 510 U.S. 17 Business N., Surfside Beach; 238-2695 or www.surfsidebowlingcenter.com
Nikki McDaniel, manager for marketing and youth activities at Waccamaw Bowling Center, just west of Myrtle Beach, said multiple options await local residents who hit the lanes. She said through the center’s Bowler Rewards card, its local discount program, patrons are welcome to bowl noon-7 p.m. Sundays for $1 per game and $2 shoe rental, and choose from various all-you-can-bowl options all week long:
• Noon-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays for $5 per person, and shoe rental for $3.
• 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, outside of league nights, $35 per lane for as many as six people, including shoe rental, popcorn and a pitcher of soda.
• 9 p.m.-midnight Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays for $8 per person, including shoes, and 9 p.m.-1 a.m. Wednesdays for $9.
• Noon-7 p.m. Sundays, $35 per lane which for two hours for as many as six people, including shoe rental, a large, one-topping topping pizza, and soda pitcher
• 7-11 p.m. Sundays for $7 per person, including shoes.
Also, at Surfside Bowl Entertainment Center, bowl games and buy cheese pizza slices for $1 each from 4 p.m. to closing every Monday. Shoe rental is extra: $2.99 sizes 3 and larger, otherwise $1.49.
Some local house shows offer local discounts at times. Two deals available are:
• “The Carolina Opry” and “The Good Vibrations Show,” at the Calvin Gilmore Theatre, on the northern tip of U.S. 17 Business, at U.S. 17 Bypass in Myrtle Beach, with $20 tickets for ages 17 and older, and $10 seats for ages 3-16, as well as “Platinum” seats $25 for all ages, all through May 22.
Show times through that date are 7:30 p.m.: “Good Vibrations” on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and “Opry” on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, with a 2 p.m. matinee May 18. (913-8888, 800-843-6779 or www.thecarolinaopry.com.)
• “Legends in Concert,” 2925 Hollywood Drive, Myrtle Beach, at U.S. 17 Bypass and 29th Avenue North, next to Planet Hollywood and across from Broadway at the Beach.
Jason Aiesi, general manager of Legends in Myrtle Beach, said its “Locals Fan Club” operates all year, with free membership to full-time, year-round residents of Horry, Georgetown, Brunswick, Marion and Florence counties. A member and as many as six guests attend a show with more than a $12 discount per ticket in regular seating, with some specials for seat upgrades and concessions and gift shop sales.
Legends’ show times into mid-June are 8 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, with a 2 p.m. matinee May 7. The lineup of tribute artists continues through May 11 with Adele, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Rod Stewart and Tina Turner, then changes May 13 to the Blues Brothers, Michael Jackson, Lady GaGa, Elvis Presley and Justin Timberlake, through Sept. 1.
With Legends keeping this local discount program in place year round, Aiesi said the club members are not limited to certain periods lasting a few weeks each.
“Giving them the benefit of a year-round membership,” he said, “also allows them to bring guests to experience our diverse lineup of stars which changes with each season.”
The Alabama Theatre in North Myrtle Beach just concluded a two-month promotion for a buy-one-get-one-free ticket discount for local residents to “One the New Show.”
Its president, Bob Wood, said “locals support us all year” and that many catch a show more than once annually.
“It’s our way of thanking them,” he said, “and hopefully they will spread the word about our shows and concerts.”