Author visits ‘1st Thursday’ library forum
The Friends of the Waccamaw Library “1st Thursday” adult education series welcomes John Kenny, executive director of the Georgetown Innovation Center, discussing the history and roots of Georgetown’s Lebanese community, with highlights of his research for a volume he will soon publish. Details at 843-314-3177, 843-545-3623 or www.thefowl.org.
Details: 10 a.m. at Georgetown County Library Waccamaw Neck branch, 41 St. Paul Place, Litchfield Beach, off Willbrook Boulevard. Free.
Cooking demo covers game on stove
See a demonstration on how local wild game was prepared on a wood-burning stove. Details at 843-365-3596 or www.horrycountymuseum.org.
Details: 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at at Horry County Museum’s L.W. Paul Living History Farm, 2279 Harris Shortcut Road, north of Conway. Free.
Three events across Strand light up season
▪ “Nights of a Thousand Candles,” 3-10 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays through Dec. 17, with a Sunday finale Dec. 18, at Brookgreen Gardens, on U.S. 17, between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach. Advance purchase at 888-718-4253 or www.brookgreen.org: $18 ($14 members) ages 13 and older, $10 ($8 members) ages 4-12, and free ages 3 and younger.
▪ Conway Downtown Alive: “Rivertown Christmas Celebration,” 6-8 p.m. Thursdays through Dec. 15, including tree lighting 6 p.m. Dec. 1 at city hall, 229 Main St., before Santa’s arrival; “Living Window” displays Dec. 8; and visits with Santa at 1019 Fourth Ave., and horse-drawn carriage rides from Laurel Street and Fourth Avenue, both Dec. 8 and 15. Free. 843-248-6260 or conwayalive.com.
▪ Christmas tree lighting, 7 p.m. in front of Surfside Beach Town Hall, 115 U.S. 17 Business N. 843-650-9548 or www.surfsidebeach.org.
Shows include two troupes’ opening nights
▪ Students’ holiday program, 6 p.m. at Sampit Elementary School, 69 Woodland Ave., Georgetown. Free. 843-527-4411 or www.ses.gcsd.k12.sc.us.
▪ “It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play” 8 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays and 3 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays, through Dec. 18 – at Stage Left Theatre Company, 3064 DeVille St., Myrtle Beach, between Nevers and Lewis streets, next to Coastal Dance Centre. $21 general admission; and $18 active-duty military, veterans and students. 843-232-0339 or www.stagelefttheatremb.com.
▪ Swamp Fox Players’ “Christmas at the Strand,” 8 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays and 2:30 p.m. Sundays, through Dec. 11, at Strand Theater, 710 Front St., Georgetown. $18 ages 12 and older, otherwise $10. 843-527-2924 or www.swampfoxplayers.com.
▪ “’Twas the Night Before Christmas” continues: 7:30 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays and 3 p.m. Sundays, through Dec. 18, at Atlantic Stage, in Myrtle Beach Mall, at U.S. 17 and S.C. 22, near Briarcliffe Acres. $27.50 general admission; $22.50 ages 55 and older, as well as educators and military; and $17.50 students, including Coastal Carolina University Osher Lifelong Learning Institute members). Also, join dialogues with actors, after the matinee this Sunday. 877-287-8587 (ATS-TKTS) or www.atlanticstage.com.