Greek fest opens; Lunafest fills evening
▪ 25th annual St. John’s Greek Festival, benefiting various charities, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sept. 29-30, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Oct. 1, and noon-7 p.m. Oct. 2, at St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, at U.S. 17 Bypass and 33rd Avenue North Extension in Myrtle Beach. $1 ages 11 and older, otherwise free. 843-448-3773 or www.stjohn-mb.org/greek-festival-2016.
▪ “Lunafest – Short Films by, for, about Women,” benefiting Family Justice Center for Georgetown and Horry Counties – based in Georgetown – with Dorothea Benton Frank, author, at Coastal Carolina University James J. Johnson Auditorium, in E. Craig Wall Sr. College of Business Administration Building on Conway campus, accessed from U.S. 501 or S.C. 544: reception and book signing at 6 p.m., keynote speech 7 p.m., and several films at 7:45 p.m. $35, including copy of Frank’s newest novel, “All Summer Long.” Buy tickets at fjcgtownhorry.org. 843-546-3926.
Performances include Atlantic Stage opener
Never miss a local story.
▪ “Evening of Hope” 17th annual benefit and music and comedy revue, for McLeod Health Foundation’s HOPE Fund (Helping Oncology Patients Everyday) and Center for Cancer Treatment and Research, 6-10 p.m. at Florence Little Theatre, 417 S Dargan St, Florence. $100. 843-777-2694 or visit www.mcleodfoundation.org.
▪ Hip Pocket Band, 7-9 p.m. at North Myrtle Beach’s Horseshoe, at Main Street and Ocean Boulevard. Free. 843-280-5594, ext. 3; or parks.nmb.us.
▪ Opening of “Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike,” 7:30 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays and 3 p.m. Sundays through Oct. 23 at Atlantic Stage, in Myrtle Beach Mall, at U.S. 17 and S.C. 22, near Briarcliffe Acres, and next door to Bath and Body Works. $27.50 general admission; $22.50 ages 55 and older, as well as educators and military; and $17.50 students, including Coastal Carolina University Osher Lifelong Learning Institute members. 877-287-8587 or www.atlanticstage.com.
▪ “The Odd Couple,” 8 p.m. Thursday-Saturday and 3 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, at Stage Left Theatre Company, 3064 DeVille St., Myrtle Beach, at The Market Common, between Nevers and Lewis streets, next to Coastal Dance Centre. $21 general admission; and $18 active-duty military, veterans and students. 843-232-0339 or www.stagelefttheatremb.com.
Final free skating night for first responders
First responders will receive free roller skating and skate rental, and their children ages 10 and younger receive free admission for inflatables. Bring socks to wear, too. Details at 843-748-0302 or www.funwarehousemb.com.
Details: 3 p.m. till closing at Fun Warehouse, 2349 Dick Pond Road (S.C. 544), near Surfside Beach, a half-mile east of U.S. 17.