Two free movies play at 3 p.m.
▪ “The Young Messiah,” for adults, in Myrtle Beach’s Base Recreation Center, 800 Gabreski Lane, near Pampas Drive and Horry-Georgetown Technical College Grand Strand campus. Free. 843-918-2380.
▪ “The Bridge on the River Kwai,” at Horry County Museum, 805 Main St., Conway (open 9 a.m.-5 p.m.). 843-915-5320 or www.horrycountymuseum.org.
‘Travels with Darley’ new season dawns
Never miss a local story.
The second season of “Travels with Darley,” a weekly series with Darley Newman, Myrtle Beach childhood native, as host and producer, begins with a visit to northern England: Manchester, Liverpool and the Lake District. Other scheduled episodes cover Wales: Isle of Anglesey and the coast on Oct. 7; northern England and Wales on Oct. 14; Little Rock, Ark., on Oct. 21; and Hong Kong island hopping on Oct. 28. Details at www.travelswithdarley.com.
Details: 7:30-8 p.m. Fridays on PBS – ETV across South Carolina (scetv.org) – including WHMC-TV 23 of Conway and WITV-TV 7 of Charleston.
Performances include tribute to KISS
▪ At House of Blues, at Barefoot Landing, on U.S. 17 in North Myrtle Beach: Paul Grimshaw Band, 7-11 p.m. on The Deck, for free; “Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre” 7 p.m., for $42; and Stutter tribute to KISS, 7:30 p.m., for $11. 843-272-3000 or www.hob.com/myrtlebeach.
▪ Carolina Improv Company, in Uptown Theater, by Bass Pro Shops in Myrtle Beach Mall, at U.S. 17 and S.C. 22, near Briarcliffe Acres: “Whose Beach Is It Anyway,” family friendly, 7:30 p.m. Friday, for $15 ages 12 and older ($13.75 advance at www.carolinaimprov.com), and $13 ages 4-11. Also:“Whose Night Out Is It Anyway?” show for adults, 7:30 p.m. Saturday, for $13.75 advance online or $15 at door. 843-272-4242 or www.carolinaimprov.com.
▪ “Sounds of the ’70s” with Ambrosia, Firefall, Player, and Stephen Bishop 8 p.m. at Wilson Center at Cape Fear Community College, 703 N. Third St., in downtown Wilmington. $34.50-$54.50. 910-362-7999 or cfcc.edu/capefearstage/.
▪ Carter Winter, 9 p.m. at The Boathouse Waterway Bar & Grill, 201 Fantasy Harbor Blvd., along Intracoastal Waterway, just west of Myrtle Beach, off U.S. 501, next to Clarion Hotel. 843-903-2628 or www.boathousemb.com.
Family Kingdom to close for season
Family Kingdom Amusement Park is open for two final days this year: 6-10 p.m. Friday and 1-8 p.m. Saturday, weather permitting. Details at 843-626-3447 or www.familykingdomfun.com.
Details: 300 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach. Free admission, and wristbands for all ages – which do not include go-carts and zip lines – are $27.35 plus tax (or $15.75 total for local residents with ID, sold only in the office under Swamp Fox roller coaster), and individual ride tickets cost $1.15 plus tax each, with 2-5 tickets needed per ride.