Honor Flight Grand Strand/Myrtle Beach
By the numbers
By the timetable
Agenda for this Wednesday – all times approximate:
Other regional Honor Flight Network trips continuing
• Honor Flight Upstate, based in Simpsonville, from Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport in Greer, April 22 – 864-869-8387 (VETS), 864-963-5774 or www.honorflightupstatesc.com.
• Honor Flight South Carolina, from Columbia Metropolitan Airport, May 7 – 803-582-8826 or honorflightsc.com.
• Honor Flight Lowcountry, from Charleston International Airport, planning next trip for Sept. 6 – 843-906-0399 or honorflightlowcountry.com.
• Honor Flight Savannah, chartered bus trips from Pooler, Ga., May 16-18 and Sept. 5-7 – 912-367-9020 or www.honorflightsavannah.org.
Other ways to honor heroes
WORLD WAR II REGISTRY
SIXTH ANNUAL ‘MILITARY APPRECIATION DAYS’
• Traveling Vietnam Wall – “The Wall That Heals “ – open 24 hours daily, May 14-18, near Myrtle Beach’s Crabtree Memorial Gymnasium, accessed from Farrow Parkway, by The Market Common.
• 5K Run, 7:30 a.m. May 24, on Ocean Boulevard from Plyler Park Mr. Joe White Avenue and including the boardwalk – free for military (active duty, reserves and veterans), otherwise $20.
• Memorial Day weekend parade, with Montel Williams, Navy veteran and former talk show host, as grand marshal, 10:30 a.m. May 24 on Myrtle Beach’s Ocean Boulevard, from 27th Avenue North southward to Ninth Avenue North.
• Family Picnic, noon-2 p.m. May 24, on Ocean Boulevard, with military exhibits, children’s activities, concert by Andrew Thielen Big Band, and meet-and-greet with Montel Williams. Free meals from Omar Shriners chefs for all military personnel and veterans, and their families
• Veterans Beard & ’Stache Beach Bash, on May 24, for veterans, with such categories as Full Beard, Corporate Beard, Partial Beard (Chops, Goatees, Chin Straps),’Stache, Long Beard, Long ‘Stache, Epic Beard, and for all women – even those who are not veterans – Ladies’ Faux. Email email@example.com to sign up, and register formally 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m. that day at “Beard Table,” then judging starts at 12:30 p.m.
• Memorial Day Ceremony, with Grand Strand Patriotic Alliance, 11 a.m. May 26 at Myrtle Beach Convention Center Plaza, on Oak Street at 21st Avenue North.
• Saturdays – April 19; May 3, 17 and 31; June 7, and 21; July 12 and 19; and Aug. 2 and 30.
• “Military Appreciation Night,” June 6 – on 70th anniversary of Allied’s D-Day invasion of Normandy, France, in World War II – including distribution of baseball card sets of late and living local veterans from all U.S. conflicts.
• April-May –$8 left-field bleachers, $9 upper deck reserved and $11 field box
• June-September – $8/$11/$13, respectively
• All-You-Can-Eat Seats, $25, with buffet overlooking Pelicans’ bullpen, in right field
SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALL SUPPER BENEFIT
JAZZ CONCERT BENEFIT
HALL OF HEROES
‘MINI MILITARY MUSEUM’