Summer events heat up
Pick a festival or special event:
• “Veggie Fest,” 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at Freewoods Farm, 9515 Freewoods Road, off Bay Road from S.C. 707 in Burgess community, including tour at 9 a.m., backyard gardening class at 10:30-11:30 a.m., and for $10 ages and older, otherwise $5, barbecue lunch with watermelon. 650-2064 or www.freewoodsfarm.com.
• “Warrior Mud Run” 5K for Waccamaw Athletic Booster Club, on Waccamaw High School campus, 2412 Kings River Road, Pawleys Island. Individuals at 9 a.m., for $50 advance (plus active.com fee) or 60, and teams of four: males 9:30 a.m., co-ed 10 a.m., females 10:30 a.m., each $220; and youth individuals, ages 10-13, 11 a.m., $25. 267-4298 or www.waccamawathletics.com.
• “Art in the Park,” 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday-Sunday in Myrtle Beach’s Chapin Park, at North Kings Highway and 14th Avenue North. Free. 446-3830 or www.artsyparksy.com.
• “Remembering Myrtle Beach: A Local History Series,” with Bill Darby, magazine publisher, 11 a.m. in Myrtle Beach’s Chapin Memorial Library, 400 14th Ave. N., at Kings Highway. Free. 918-1282 or www.chapinlibrary.org.
• 5Points Spring Fling Festival, noon-5 p.m. on Broadway Street in Myrtle Beach, between Fourth and Fifth avenues North. Free. 360-2025, 448-9900 or www.5pointsmb.com.
• “First Blush of Summer Fest,” noon-6 p.m., at La Belle Amie Vineyard, 1120 St. Joseph Road, Little River, just west of North Myrtle Beach Middle School. $8, and bring donation of two canned/dry food items for $3 discount. 399-9463 or www.labelleamie.com.
• “Rock the Boat” concert by by Tunes for Tots Worldwide, 1-6 p.m. for benefit Make-A-Wish South Carolina, at The Boathouse Waterway Bar & Grill, 201 Fantasy Harbor Blvd., along the Intracoastal Waterway, just west of Myrtle Beach, off U.S. 501. $10 cover ages 12 and older, otherwise free. www.tunesfortots.com, and 903-2628 or www.boathousemb.com.
• Strand Cinema movies: “The Best Offer” (2013), at 2:30 p.m., and “Garibaldi’s Lovers” (2012), 7 p.m., at Strand Theater, 710 Front St., Georgetown. Each $5 members, otherwise $7. 527-2924 or www.strandcinema.org.
• “Hot Summer Nights” concert with Ben Fagan & The Holy City Hooligans, 8-11 p.m. in Myrtle Beach’s Plyler Park, at Mr. Joe White Avenue and North Ocean Boulevard. Free. www.myrtlebeachdowntown.com.
• Opening weekend of Theatre of the Republic’s “The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas,” 7:30 p.m. (and 3 p.m. Sunday) at Main Street Theatre, 335 Main St., Conway. $21. 488-0821 or www.theatreoftherepublic.com.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeach