A couple of Miami real estate specialists have come up with a list of 10 tips to use in buying a vacation home.
1. View the home as a form of recreation, not an investment.
2. Approach joint property investments carefully.
3. Don’t buy outside the country.
5. Research all four seasons before you buy.
5. Make sure the house and location make a good rental.
6. Work with an agent who knows the area.
7. Don’t buy a timeshare.
8. Buy an exisitng home instead of land.
9. Factor in extra costs.
10. Buy only what you can affort.
At least a couple of those -- working with a knowledgeable agent and buying only what you can afford -- seem kind of obvious in the list compiled by Dan Hechtkopf and Reid Heidenry of SBI Realty.
Another, researching all four seasons, might be more applicable to those moving to South Florida versus the mid-Atlantic coast.
Buyers are not uncommon along the Grand Strand who left the Northeast for Florida only to find out they missed changing seasons.
So they move halfway back to a place that has all four seasons without the long and harsh winters they formerly had to endure.
Contact STEVE JONES at 444-1765 or on Twitter @TSN_sjones.