A 23-year-old Myrtle Beach man was convicted of murder and sentenced to 30 years in prison for the 2012 shooting death of a 20-year-old man, according to authorities.
Following a jury trial this week, Shelton Butler, 23, was convicted of murder and sentenced to 30 years in prison, George H. DeBusk, a senior assistant solicitor with the 15th Circuit Solicitor’s Office, said Friday.
Two other men, Donavon Curtis Johnson, 21, and Charles Johnson, 23, are each also charged in the case and DeBusk said their cases will be scheduled in the near future for adjudication.
The men were each charged in 2012 in the June 8 shooting death that year of 20-year-old Jose Gutierez of Myrtle Beach. Gutierez died shortly after he arrived at Conway Medical Center following a shooting about 8:30 p.m. on Ronald McNair Boulevard, according to authorities.
Butler was arrested on June 19, 2012, after Horry County police and U.S. Marshals chased him in a wooded area on Lucas Bay Road, police said.
A police report showed that police were called to Ronald McNair Boulevard, which is near the Carolina Bays Parkway overpass, for a report of gunshots being fired in the area. The caller told dispatchers that a man had been shot and several women put him in a vehicle and drove away.
Officers found a crime scene in that area that included blood, a cell phone and shoe in the street, according to the report. A witness told police that she was inside her house and heard what sounded like gunshots. The witness told police she saw a man leave the scene in one vehicle and the women and Gutierez leave in another vehicle.
While officers were at that scene, Gutierez arrived at the hospital for treatment, police said.
Officers learned the women took Guiterez to the hospital, and they were questioned about the shooting there. The man, who the witness described as leaving the scene, also arrived at the hospital and was questioned by police.
Several neighbors told police they heard three gunshots at the time of the incident, but that they did not see what happened, according to the report.
A background check with the State Law Enforcement Division showed that Butler had a previous criminal record and had been recently released from jail at the time of the shooting.
Butler was charged in November 2008 with failure to stop for a blue light and strong armed robbery; September 2009 with armed robbery, possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, grand larceny with a value of more than $5,000 and four counts of kidnapping; and December 2011 with driving under suspension and a window tint violation. Butler was ordered to serve a prison sentence not to exceed six years under the Youthful Offender Act in March 2010 and was released on probation in July 2010 on the robbery charges. He was ordered to serve 90 days in jail for failing to stop for a blue light.
The robbery charge from 2009 filed against Butler was filed after a taxi cab driver in Conway reported two men, including one identified as Butler, punched her in the face repeatedly, held a knife to her neck and robbed her.
Contact TONYA ROOT at 444-1723 or on Twitter @tonyaroot.