If you go
What | Sixth annual “Military Appreciation Days”
By | City of Myrtle Beach and PGBA Inc.
When | All of May
Special events include |
• Display of four helicopters – an H Huey, Huey Charlie Gunship, OH-58, and OH-6 – by N.C. Vietnam Helicopter Pilots Association, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday at Myrtle Beach Convention Center plaza, on Oak Street at 21st Avenue North. Free.
• Traveling Vietnam Wall – “The Wall That Heals “ – open 24 hours daily, May 14-18, near Myrtle Beach’s Crabtree Memorial Gymnasium, accessed from Farrow Parkway, by The Market Common.
• Military Officers Association of America Grand Strand Chapter Golf Tournament, May 22, with lunch at noon, tourney at 2 p.m., at Legends Golf & Resort’s Heathland course, for $75 per person $280 per team, and reduced rates for veterans. Benefiting college scholarships for high school seniors, wounded warrior trips to Myrtle Beach, and Veterans Welcome Home and Resource Center or Little River. Register by May 8 with Greg Youngman at 973-714-5073 or email gyoungman @sc.rr.com, or with Jerry Terwilliger at 903-4047 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 5K Run, 7:30 a.m. May 24, on Ocean Boulevard from Plyler Park, at Mr. Joe White Avenue, and including the boardwalk – free for military (active duty, reserves and veterans), otherwise $20.
• Memorial Day weekend parade, with Montel Williams, Navy veteran and former talk show host, as grand marshal, 10:30 a.m. May 24 on Myrtle Beach’s Ocean Boulevard, from 27th Avenue North southward to Ninth Avenue North.
• Family Picnic, noon-2 p.m. May 24, on Ocean Boulevard, with military exhibits, children’s activities, concert by Andrew Thielen Big Band, and meet-and-greet with Montel Williams. Free meals from Omar Shriners chefs for all military personnel and veterans, and their families
• Veterans Beard & ’Stache Beach Bash, on May 24, for veterans, with such categories as Full Beard, Corporate Beard, Partial Beard (Chops, Goatees, Chin Straps),’Stache, Long Beard, Long ‘Stache, Epic Beard, and for all women – even those who are not veterans – Ladies’ Faux. Email email@example.com to sign up, and register formally 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m. that day at “Beard Table,” then judging starts at 12:30 p.m.
• Memorial Day Ceremony, with Grand Strand Patriotic Alliance, 11 a.m. May 26 at Myrtle Beach Convention Center plaza.
Information | 918-1014 or www.militaryappreciationdays.com
Other events to honor and help heroes
ANNUAL YARD SALE BENEFIT
When | 7:30 a.m.-noon Saturday
Where | “American Legion Post 41, 2667 Main St., Loris
Information | 902-4631
By | Myrtle Beach Pelicans, the Advanced-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers, and Embrace Hospice
To | Salute veterans at 11 baseball games this year
Where | TicketReturn.com Field at Pelicans Ballpark, 1251 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach, at Grissom Parkway
When | all 7:05 p.m.:
• Saturdays – May 3, 17 and 31; June 7, and 21; July 12 and 19; and Aug. 2 and 30.
• “Military Appreciation Night,” June 6 – on 70th anniversary of Allied’s D-Day invasion of Normandy, France, in World War II – including distribution of baseball card sets of late and living local veterans from all U.S. conflicts.
Also | Video tributes, produced by the Coastal Carolina University Center for Military and Veterans Studies, at each game, honoring living, local World War II veterans – to nominate an honoree, also for the card set, email an application (found at www.milb.com/documents/2/8/2/68349282/2014_Embrace_Veterans_Application_5254a3g8.pdf) to Katelyn Guild, Pelicans corporate sales manager, at KGuild@MyrtleBeachPelicans.com or pick one up at, and drop off or mail to, the Pelicans front office, 1251 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577, open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays.
Game tickets | Advance prices (and add $1 on game day):
• April-May – $8 left-field bleachers, $9 upper deck reserved and $11 field box
• June-September – $8/$11/$13, respectively
• All-You-Can-Eat Seats, $25, with buffet overlooking Pelicans’ bullpen, in right field
Listen | All games on WRNN-AM 1450, an ESPN Radio affiliate, and at www.espnmyrtlebeach.com
Information | 918-6000, 877-918-8499 or www.myrtlebeachpelicans.com
Benefiting | Area veterans’ causes
When | 1-4 p.m. May 18
Where | VFW Post 10420, 3459 U.S. 17 Bypass, Murrells Inlet
Also | Sales of 473 memorial bricks for $50 each to honor anyone – even someone who’s not a veteran or Veterans of Foreign Wars member – for grounds around the granite, which salutes 109 service personnel from South Carolina who have died in Iraq or Afghanistan in the war on terror. Post’s memorial “re-dedication” services planned for Memorial Day – Its initial dedication was on Veterans Day 2013. Call 222-2791.
Information | 651-6900
CANINE ANGELS BENEFITS
Benefiting | A North Myrtle Beach nonprofit that rescues dogs and trains them for use by disabled veterans.
What and when |
• “Fore the Pups We Putt Golf Tournament,” 9 a.m. May 24 at Rivers Edge Golf Plantation in Shallotte, N.C., for $80 per person (checks due May 10, made out to Canine Angels, and mailed to Josie McGahn, 950 Meadowlands Trail, Calabash, NC 28467). Details at 609-576-2303.
• “Dine, Dance, and Party” with the pups, 6-10 p.m. May 29 at Castano’s Italian Steakhouse, in Barefoot Landing, on U.S. 17 in North Myrtle Beach, for $38, including three-course meal from choice of four special menu entrees, live music, prizes and auctions. 910-398-7850.
Information | 917-575-6235 or www.canineangelsservicedogs.org
‘RED, WHITE AND BLUE SALUTE TO VETERANS’
What | Flags placed throughout gardens, May 24-26
Where | Brookgreen Gardens, on U.S. 17 between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach, across from Huntington Beach State Park
Open | 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. daily
How much | Admission lasts seven days: $14 ages 13-64, $12 ages 65 and older, and $7 ages 4-12
Information | 235-6000, 800-849-1931 or www.brookgreen.org.
JAZZ CONCERT BENEFIT
By | Stephanie Trick-Alderighi, pianist – and wife of Paolo Alderighi, another jazz pianist
Benefiting | Help A Veteran, a nonprofit organization assisting veterans with special needs
When | 1-4 p.m. May 31
Where | Grand Strand Senior Center, 1268 21st Avenue N., Myrtle Beach
How much | $15 individual, or two for $25
Information | 222-0718 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
FREE BOWLING FOR VETERANS AND ACTIVE MILITARY
What | Three games
When | noon-10 p.m. Sundays
Where | Waccamaw Bowling Center, 101 Gray Drive, west of Myrtle Beach, off U.S. 501, just west of River Oaks Drive and Intracoastal Waterway, next to Tire Town
Information | 236-1020 or www.waccamawbowling.com
Other service groups
DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS GRAND CHAPTER 30
Where | 2987 Church St., Myrtle Beach, between extensions of 29th and 38th avenues North, west of U.S. 17 Bypass
Office open | 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesdays
Services include | Free transportation for injured and ill veterans to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs medical facilities – such as commutes between the VA Primary Care Clinic in Myrtle Beach and the Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center in Charleston – and free, professional assistance to veterans and their families in obtaining benefits and services earned through military service and provided by the VA and other government agencies
Lifetime membership | Free for ages 80 and older, $140 ages 71-79, $180 ages 61-70, $230 ages 41-60, and $250 ages 40 and younger
Also | Meetings at 7 p.m. first Thursday monthly
Information | 448-6483 or www.dav.org, and locally: www.davmembersportal.org/chapters/sc/30/default.aspx
VETERANS WELCOME HOME AND RESOURCE CENTER
When | 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays and 8 a.m.-noon Fridays
Where | 4254 Stella Court; Little River
Services include | Operation Welcome Home, through which volunteers, upon prior invitation, will go wherever requested to greet any service member upon their return.
Information | 427-4568 or www.veteranswelcomehomeandresourcecenter.org, and email email@example.com
GRAND STRAND BLUE STAR MOTHERS
What and when |
• Collecting donations with North Myrtle Beach Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday at Wal-Mart, 550 U.S. 17 N., North Myrtle Beach
• Packing “Hero Boxes” on May 17 to send to deployed troops – donations of items and postage also sought – see full list of items at www.grandstrandbluestarmothers.com/hero-box.html
Also | Meetings at 7 p.m. on third Thursday each month at American Legion Post 186, 4285 Pine Drive, Little River
Information | 390-5639, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or U.S. mail to P.O. Box 893, Longs, SC 29568
BLUE STAR MOTHERS OF COASTAL CAROLINA
Requesting | Names and addresses of deployed military personnel for future “Hero Box” mailings – send name, full mailing address and deployment dates to email@example.com
Also | Meetings at 6 p.m. on fourth Monday each month at Moose Lodge, 479 Burcale Road, in Forestbrook community, near Arrowhead Country Club
Information | 903-1012 or www.bluestarmothersofcoastalcarolina.com, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
SCENTS FOR SOLDIERS
Benefiting | healing of wounded veterans at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md. (800-(301-295-4000, 800-526-7101 or www.wrnmmc.capmed.mil), and helping their families
Donations welcome | P.O. Box 30607; Myrtle Beach, SC 29588
Information | 458-5873, or email Christina Shealy, founder, at email@example.com
HALL OF HEROES
When | Open 9 a.m. daily
Where | Sands Ocean Dunes Resort, 201 75th. Ave. N., Myrtle Beach
How much | Free
Includes | Scaled replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall, with all 58,253 names; information about each U.S. war/conflict; displays on flags and the Korean War; Gold Dog Tag display honoring those that died in hostile action since the Vietnam War; and names and location of the 2,984 Americans who perished on Sept. 11, 2001.
Information | 692-5265, 692-5100 or www.sandsresorts.com/hall-of-heroes
‘MINI MILITARY MUSEUM’
Where | Veterans Cafe & Grille, 3544 Northgate Blvd., Myrtle Beach, in Northgate Plaza, off S.C. 707 at southwest corner at U.S. Bypass, near Dollar General
When | 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays
Also | Monthly meetings for veterans of the Merchant Marines and all services, by John. T. Schmidt Chapter/Palmetto Mariners, with lunch and fellowship at noon, meeting at 1 p.m. Details at 651-8046 or www.usmmsc.com.
Information | 232-8387
Who | A volunteer, all-donation-funded group co-founded by Chelsea Carey – who grew up in Myrtle Beach – that provides wounded military personnel and veterans with debilitating injuries their own baby carriers so they don’t miss out on bonding with and holding their young children safely and comfortably
What | Soft-structured, customized carriers, all new and with warranties
How much | Free to veterans who apply
Information | 209-975-7825 (RUCK), www.ruckabyebaby.org, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or by U.S. mail to Ruckabye Baby, 3601 Bluebird Ave., McAllen, TX 78504
MILITARY OFFICERS ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA
Who | Grand Strand Chapter
Meets | 6 p.m. second Tuesday monthly
Where | Pine Lakes Country Club in Myrtle Beach
Information | 449-6807 or www.grandstrandmoaa.com
MILITARY ORDER OF THE PURPLE HEART
Based in | Springfield, Va. – 703-354-2140, 888-668-1656 or www.purpleheart.org
S.C. contact | Richard Roszelle of Bluffton, adjutant, 843-815-2184, or email email@example.com
Also | Purple Hearts Reunited, which helps return lost medals to recipients’ families: www.purpleheartsreunited.org, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or by U.S. mail: P.O. Box 2121, Georgia, VT 05468
WORLD WAR II REGISTRY
Where | www.wwiimemorial.com/default.asp?page=registry.asp&subpage=intro