Firefighters with Murrells Inlet-Garden City Fire Rescue responded to a HAZMAT situation about 5 p.m. Thursday that sent five people to the hospital, said assistant chief J.R. Haney.
He said it appears the machine that pumps chlorine into the pool on Riverwood Road malfunctioned. The pool is in the Wachesaw Plantation East subdivision.
When firefighters responded, he said the pool had been evacuated and about 20 people were outside.
Five were sent to the hospital, Haney said. He did not have information on the severity of the injuries, but said the complaints were respiratory issues and irritated skin.
Contact AMANDA KELLEY at 626-0381, or follow her at Twitter.com/TSN_akelley.