• The Carolina Patriots, will hold a candidate forum from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at fire house No.6, 970 38th Ave. N. in Myrtle Beach. All candidates running for the S.C. House 56, and Horry County Council districts 5 and 8 have been invited to participate. For information contact visit www.carolinapatriots.org.
• West Side Democrats will meet 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the Horry County Democratic Party Headquarters, 900 4th Avenue in downtown Conway. For information, contact the HCDP office at 488-4237.
• The Westside Democratic Club will hold its 10th annual Big Spring Social Fish Fry, which will include the Believe Campaign’s voter registration drive. The event happens from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Coppers Restaurant, 201 Laurel St. in Conway. Visitors will be able to meet Democratic candidates, HCDP officers, S.C. Democratic Party Field Representative William Mitchell and fellow Democrats. All are welcome. Tickets are available at the door for $12. For information contact HCDP at 488-4237.
• Democratic Women’s Council of Horry County meeting for Thursday is canceled. Regular meetings resume on May 15. For more information, contact Pam Heller firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Democratic Women’s Council of Horry County has extended the deadline for its annual scholarship essay contest. Essays are due no later than April 21.
This year’s essay theme is “Why electing a Democratic governor in 2014 is crucial for South Carolina.”
Graduating high school seniors and undergraduate college students who are registered to vote in Horry County are eligible to enter to win one of two $1,000 scholarships.
Essays must be received no later than April 14. The contest application and a complete set of rules and criteria are available at the DWCHC website, www.dwchc.com. Information also can be obtained by calling essay committee chair Milly Vaughn at email@example.com.
As in past years, a booklet containing all the winning essays will be published, with ad sales in the booklet and other fundraising activities of the council going to support the scholarships.
For more information about the scholarship contest, booklet, contact Sally P. Howard at 455-1936 or SallyPHoward@aol.com.
• Waccamaw Neck Republican Club will meet 7 p.m. Monday at the Pawleys Island Branch Library, 24 Commerce Drive. The featured speakers will be Bob Anderson, incumbent County Council member from District 6 and his primary challenger Steve Goggans. The public is invited to attend. For information contact Jerry Rovner at 235-0463.
• The Myrtle Beach Republican Women will hold their monthly “Freedom Huddle” happy hour from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at Liberty Steak House at Broadway at the Beach.