Charges dropped against one man in Heather Elvis case

akelley@thesunnews.comApril 17, 2014 

Authorities have dropped charges against a man who was arrested earlier this year in connection with the disappearance of 20-year-old Heather Elvis, according to Horry County public records.

Garrett Ryan Starnes was charged with obstruction of justice Jan. 28., but those charges were dropped this week, according to court records.

Horry County police charged Starnes because officers said the 25-year-old fabricated misleading information regarding Elvis’ disappearance, relayed the false information to police and posted it to a social media site, which diverted officers from legitimate leads.

Elvis was reported missing when her car was found locked at Peach Tree Boat Landing in Socastee Dec. 19.

In February, Tammy and Sidney Moorer were charged with murder and kidnapping in Elvis’ disappearance.

Tammy Moorer is being held at the Georgetown County Detention Center, while Sidney Moorer is in custody at J. Reuben Long Detention Center. Both were denied bond in March, but an attorney for Tammy Moorer requested a hearing for the reconsideration of her bond last week.

An obstruction of justice charge against William Christopher Barrett, 52, remains pending, according to court records.

Police said Barrett began posting misleading information on Facebook about Heather Elvis’ disappearance and “created a community reaction that diverted investigating officers.”

Contact AMANDA KELLEY at 626-0381.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service