• Horry County Democratic Party on Saturday elected Joan Furlong, Myrtle Beach as chair. She succeeds Doris Potter Hickman of Loris.
Furlong is president of the South Enders Democratic Club and an advocate on several public policy issues of importance to South Carolina including environmental protection, fair and equal pay, and voting rights.
The party also chose local officers for virtually every precinct throughout the county. Additional officers elected at the party’s convention Saturday include: Marcus Norfleet, Myrtle Beach, first vice chair; Bill Jordan, Myrtle Beach – second vice chair; Keisha Kirkland, Conway, third vice chair; Cedric Blain-Spain, Conway and MaryEllen Greene, Myrtle Beach, state executive committee.
• West Side Democrats will meet 5:30 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the Horry County Democratic Party headquarters, 900 4th Avenue, Conway. For more information, contact the HCDP office at 488-4237.
• Horry Grand Strand Dems will meet 12:30 p.m. Friday at Friendly’s Restaurant at 47th Avenue N. and Highway 17 at 12:30. For more information, contact Bea Catalano at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Republican Liberty Caucus will hold a meeting 7 p.m. Tuesday at the South Strand Recreation complex at 9650 Scipio Lane. The speaker will be Sheri Few, candidate for education superintendent, and Bob Crout, co-chair of Pee Dee South Carolina Parents Involved in Education. The meeting is open to the public.
• Myrtle Beach Republican Women will hold a Freedom Huddle happy hour 4:30 to 7 p.m. Friday at Liberty Tap Room, Broadway at the Beach in Myrtle Beach. The speaker will be S.C. Attorney General Alan Wilson.