Myrtle Beach man reports truck stolen, crashed into a house before he’s arrested in domestic assault

troot@thesunnews.comMarch 18, 2014 

Freddie Lee Mason Jr.

A Myrtle Beach man was cited with leaving his truck running while he delivered illegal drugs and then three hours later he was arrested after a woman alleged he assaulted her and threatened to shoot her, according to police reports.

Freddie Lee Mason Jr., 29, was cited with leaving his motor vehicle unattended while it was running and loitering for drugs after officers were called about 10 p.m. Monday to the 1200 block of Dunbar Street for a stolen vehicle, police said.

Mason called to report that he stopped at a relative’s home to “drop off a bag of weed” and he left his vehicle running in the driveway and when he walked outside, Mason saw his vehicle driving away, according to the report. Mason said he had an altercation with the three men he saw stealing the vehicle about 30 minutes earlier on Blue Street.

While police were talking to Mason, dispatchers alerted them that officers were being called to Spivey Avenue where a vehicle hit two parked cars and a house, according to the report. The vehicle was the green sport utility vehicle Mason reported was stolen.

Damage was estimated at about $2,000 to the vehicle, which was processed and then released to Mason, who drove it away.

Later, at 1 a.m. Tuesday, officers were called to 1104 Vereen Ave., by a 24-year-old woman, who said her boyfriend had assaulted her, according to the report. The victim said her boyfriend, Mason, was upset that she had friends coming over and he got aggravated when she asked him to slide over on the couch so someone else could sit down.

The victim said Mason went into the bedroom and began getting his belongings to leave for the night, according to the report. The victim said she followed Mason and he stepped on her foot so she could not leave, then chocked her.

The victim said Mason picked her up, threw her into the wall and then pulled her by her hair into the living room, according to the report. The victim said she was able to get away, go to a neighbor’s house and called 911.

Mason had left the house before police arrived, but called the victim’s cellphone asking her to meet him, according to the report. The officers noted they heard Mason on the phone tell the victim he was going to “shoot up the house” and take care of her.

The victim reported being fearful of Mason for herself and her children, according to the report. The victim had scratches and marks consistent with being hurt.

Mason was taken into custody, but the report did not show how or where he was arrested. No other details were listed.

Contact TONYA ROOT at 444-1723 or follow her at

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service