• The Carolina Patriots will meet 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at fire house No. 6 on 38th Avenue North in Myrtle Beach (near the intersection of 38th Avenue North and Robert Grissom Parkway). For information contact Diane Aversano 385-1204, or www.CarolinaPatriots.org.
• Democratic Women’s Council of Horry County meets 5:30 p.m. Thursday at Luigi’s Trattoria, 503 61st Ave N. in Myrtle Beach. For information, contact Pam Heller 497-5020 or email@example.com
• The Horry County Democratic Party will hold a precinct reorganization luncheon and convention from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, at the Academy for Technology and Academics, 5639 U.S. 701 in Conway. Keynote speakers include Rep. Bakari Sellers, D-Bamberg, who is running for lieutenant governor; and S.C. Senate candidates Richland County Councilwoman Joyce Dickerson and Rick Wade.
• Horry County Democratic Party reorganization meeting and party convention will be 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Academy for Technology and Academics (ATA), 5639 US 701 North, in Conway.
• The Democratic Women’s Council of Horry County has kicked off its annual scholarship essay contest.
This year’s essay theme is “Why electing a Democratic governor in 2014 is crucial for South Carolina.”
Graduating high school seniors and undergraduate college students who are registered to vote in Horry County are eligible to enter to win one of two $1,000 scholarships.
Essays must be received no later than April 14. The contest application and a complete set of rules and criteria are available at the DWCHC website, www.dwchc.com. Information also can be obtained by calling essay committee chair Milly Vaughn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As in past years, a booklet containing all the winning essays will be published, with ad sales in the booklet and other fundraising activities of the council going to support the scholarships.
For more information about the scholarship contest, booklet, contact Sally P. Howard at 455-1936 or SallyPHoward@aol.com.
• The Waccamaw Neck Republican Club will meet 7 p.m. Monday at Pawleys Island Branch Library, 24 Commerce Drive. State Attorney General Alan Wilson will be the speaker. The public is invited. For information, contact Jerry Rovner at 235-0463.