Longs man wanted in February club shooting arrested

troot@thesunnews.comMarch 14, 2014 

Durance Antwan McCray

A Longs man, who police said has been wanted since a February shooting at an area night club, is in custody, authorities said.

Durance Antwan McCray, 25, was charged Thursday with armed robbery, attempted murder, possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, possession of firearms and ammunition, failure to appear and parking in a handicapped parking space, according to jail records.

It is unclear what incident the failure to appear and parking in a handicapped parking space charges are related to, but Horry County police said that on Feb. 17 they had arrest warrants for McCray on the robbery, attempted murder and weapon charges.

Police were called at 3:40 a.m. Feb. 17 to The G Spot at 8160 S.C. 90 for a fight, and learned from a security guard that two men had fought and the guards had pushed them outside to stop the fight, according to the report. Officers found a large crowd of people fleeing the club and club employees cleaning up inside.

Soon after their arrival at the club, police learned from dispatchers that a 22-year-old man – a victim in the incident – had been taken to Seacoast Medical Center with a gunshot wound, according to the report. The victim told police the identity of the man who shot him and said he didn’t understand why the 24-year-old suspect shot him.

The victim said the suspect, who was identified as McCray, put a gun to his stomach and grabbed his necklace, according to the report. The victim said he pushed the gun away and the armed man shot him in the upper thigh.

A witness helped police search through a trash bin and a shell casing was found in it, according to the report. The club owner told police he had hired security to keep the club safe.

McCray also was charged in November with two counts of assault and battery in connection with an October 28 incident at the same club.

When officers arrived on that day they were told that security guards had detained a man, but that another man in a vehicle fired several gunshots, which distracted security and the suspect escaped.

Officers searched the area, but were not able to find the car or evidence of a shooting, according to the report. Officers found blood on a doorway at the bar, which guards told them was from a fight earlier in the evening.

As officers prepared to leave the bar, they were called about a stabbing victim being treated at Seacoast Medical Center, according to the report. When officers arrived they learned that a 43-year-old man was being treated for a cut to his right butt cheek.

The man said he was at the club when a man hit him and they fought, according to the report. Another man jumped into the fight and cut the victim, who was then escorted from the bar. The victim said he told security the second suspect had a knife.

A 38-year-old woman, who also was at the medical center, told police there was a fight in the bar and she was hit three to five times from behind, according to the report. The woman said she saw the suspect, who stabbed the man, standing behind her with a chair.

Contact TONYA ROOT at 444-1723 or follow her at Twitter.com/tonyaroot.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service