Kiana Quolas pitched her first career no-hitter for Coastal Carolina, leading CCU to a 3-0 shutout of North Carolina.
Quolas had five strikeouts, including the final out, according to a university release.
The First Tee of The Grand Strand is holding registration for spring golf classes for youth ages 7-14 in Horry and Georgetown counties. Three sites will host classes from 4-5:30 p.m. one day a week for 10 weeks beginning March 17-21: Willbrook Plantation on Mondays, Conway Country Club on Thursdays and Crown Park Golf Club on Fridays. Additional sites may be added.
The cost is $25 for 10 classes and cancelled dates will not be made-up. Clubs will be provided if students do not have their own and scholarships are available upon parent request.
Classes will be between 6 and 16 players on a first-come, first-serve basis. Parents can register students at the site on the first day of class if it is not full.
Register at www.thefirstteethegrandstrand.org. For more information contact program director Tommy Gaither at 843-833-2999 or firstname.lastname@example.org, Conway CC coach Bill Knehr at 603-348-3165 or email@example.com, or Crown Park coach Andy Anderson at 910-840-1501 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
High school golf
• Waccamaw 157, Georgetown 168 | Jackson Cole achieved medalist honors as the Warriors got the win over the Bulldogs atWedgefield.
GEORGETOWN 168 – Evan Runion 40, Carter Weaver 41, Will Marlowe 38, Hannah Fespermn 49.
WACCAMAW 157– Jackson Cole 37, Will Canipe 38, Davis Hogan 40, Adam Woolridge 42.
ANDREWS – Individual 00, Individual 00, Individual 00, Individual 00.
Course – Wedgefield. Par – 36.
High school baseball
• (At) Socastee 13, West Brunswick 3 | The Braves opened their season with a big win over the Trojans in five innings. Kyle Smith went 2-for-3 with two RBIs and Buck Bacot went 1-for-2 with four RBI in the win. Trevor Bigham went 2.1 innings on the mound for the Braves before giving way to Justin Dowd (2.2 innings).
• WP - Trevor Bigham (1-0). LP - Brett Babson (1-1). Top hitters – Socastee: Kyle Smith 2-3, 2 RBIs, Buck Bacot 1-2, 4 RBIs, Hunter Renfrow 1-3, 2 RBIs, Bubba Martin 1-3, 2 RBIs.
Records – West Brunswick (4-2), Socastee (1-0).
High school softball
St. James 3, (at) Waccamaw 2 | Kelsi Bachmann was 2-for-4, Alysa Ayala was 2-for-3 with a run scored, and Kimmie Hotzelt 1-2 with an RBI as the Sharks got the win over the Warriors.
• W–Morgan Marlow (1-0). L–M. Lugin (3-3). Top hitters – St. James: Kelsi Bachmann 2-4, Alysa Ayala 2-3, run, Kimmie Hotzelt 1-2, RBI. . Waccamaw: O. Dunlap 3-3, RBI, H. Butler 1-3.
Records – St. James(5-1), Waccamaw (4-3).
High school girls soccer
(At) Socastee 11, South Florence 1 | Amber Rutledge scored four goals, and Socastee blew by West Florence.
Goals – Soc: Amber Rutledge 4, Megan Hurn 2, Rosie Serradimigni, Danielle Ives, Margaret Scalise, Julie Nierstedt, Taylor Matleshewski; SF: Courtney McLeod.
Goalkeepers – Soc: Ana Mince (2). SF: EP Vermont (2).
High school boys soccer
South Florence 2, (at) Socastee 1 | South Florence edged Socastee in penalty kicks (5-4).
Goals – SF: Marvin Austin, Soc: Jake Perito.
Goalkeepers – SF: Jacob Elvington (6). Soc: Cole Renfrow 3, Pedro Bruno 4 (7).
Records – SF 2-0, Soc 4-2.
High school boys lacrosse
• (At) Bishop England 14, Socastee 10 | Nick Borriello led the Braves with four goals and one assist, but it wasn’t enough as Socastee fell to Bishop England. Jojo Richards scored two goals and added four assists and Jiovany Rendon added two assists in the loss.
Goals – S: Jojo Richards 2, Nick Borriello 4, Jiovany Rendon 2, Chris Barna 1.
Goalkeepers – S: Nick Robles (10).
Records – Socastee: 2-3.
High school boys tennis
• (At) Myrtle Beach 6, Christian Academy of Myrtle Beach 1 | The Seahawks held Christian Academy to just one match as they got the victory at home.
Singles – John Ed Cahill (MB) d. Alan Butler 2-6, 6-0, 10-8; Isaac Giddens (MB) d. Braden McCauley 6-2, 6-2; Anatoly Policastro (MB) d. Spencer Underwood 6-1, 7-5; Josh Wallin (MB) d. Tyler Underwood 7-5, 6-2; Todd Woodard (MB) d. Jason Degeronimo 6-4, 6-1.
Doubles – Butler/McCauley (CAMB) d. Cahill/Wallin 9-8, 11-9; Corbin Duerk/Blake Long (MB) d. Ian McCauley/Brandon McDonald 7-4, 5-7, 11-9.
Records – Myrtle Beach: 2-0
CCU women’s lacrosse
Marquette scored the final three goals to break a tie and top CCU 10-7. The 23 degree temperature at the start of the game marked the coldest weather Coastal has played in since the Chanticleers and Golden Eagles battled into double overtime last February on a 32-degree day, according to a news release.
CCU women’s tennis
CCU women’s tennis team ended its spring break trip to Florida on Wednesday with 6-1 win over Chicago State. The Chanticleers (10-2) remain undefeated in their three neutral-site matches this season.