Suspect in Myrtle Beach area standoff charged

kgailliard@thesunnews.comMarch 4, 2014 

A man who held back police for about 15 hours Monday in a standoff in the Forestbrook community is facing charges, according to records at J. Reuben Long Detention Center.

Walter Harold Lynde, 46, of Myrtle Beach is charged with first offense resisting arrest with a deadly weapon, third degree arson and criminal domestic violence high and aggravated nature. He was being held at the detention center late Tuesday.

Police arrested Lynde around 3:15 p.m. Monday at 4416 Hunting Bow Trail, where officers had responded around midnight Sunday for a reported domestic dispute. The standoff ended after Lynde set fire to his home, police said, and surrendered to officers.

On Monday, officers were called to the Hunting Bow Trail home off Halyard Way for a domestic incident where Lynde was barricaded inside the home with weapons.

Horry County and Myrtle Beach SWAT team and negotiation team members responded and made contact with him.

A woman had been in the house, according to police, but she was out when police arrived and never was a hostage.

Lt. Robert Kegler or Horry County police said Lynde had grown increasingly agitated and hostile during the standoff, and had shown police a long rifle with a scope and a handgun before police coerced him outside.

No shots were fired, according to Kegler, but around 3 p.m. Monday, several loud bangs were heard from about three blocks away. The incident also led police to evacuate Lynde’s most immediate neighbors.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service