Man in custody after 15-hour standoff in Myrtle Beach area

The Sun News March 3, 2014 

— A 15-hour standoff in the Forestbrook community ended Monday with no injuries, and residents on two streets closed during the incident were allowed back into their homes.

Police officers, who first responded to the home at 4416 Hunting Bow Trial about midnight Sunday for a domestic dispute, took Walter Lynde, 46, into custody about 3:15 p.m., after he set fire to his house then surrendered.

Horry County Fire Rescue extinguished the fire once Lynde was in custody.

Watch the video associated with this story.

The front windows of the home are shattered.

Charges were pending against Lynde late Monday related to the domestic incident and the standoff, said Lt. Robert Kegler.

In addition, Myrtle Beach police have arrest warrants for Lynde related to a domestic dispute that occurred at Broadway at the Beach on Aug. 8, 2013, Capt. David Knipes said.

On Monday, officers were called to the Hunting Bow Trail home off Halyard Way for a domestic incident in which Lynde was barricaded inside the home with weapons.

Horry County and Myrtle Beach SWAT team and negotiation team members responded and made contact with him.

Kegler said Lynde had grown increasingly agitated and hostile and had shown police a long rifle with a scope and a handgun before police coerced him outside.

View more photos associated with this story.

At 3 p.m. Monday, several loud bangs could be heard from about three blocks away. Kegler said neither Lynde nor police fired shots during the incident.

Immediate neighbors to the home had been evacuated as a precaution, Kegler said, and the immediate area around the house was closed to the public. Residents in that area were directed to use Summit Trail for access to Forestbrook Road.

Beverly Poindexter lives across the street and said she awoke Monday to an Horry County police officer banging on her front door.

“It scared me to death,” she said. “He said, ‘We need you to leave your house.’ ”

She said she has been living on her home about 18 years and that there was one other incident at the home, but that it did not escalate like the scene Monday.

Poindexter said she and her children went out their back door to a friend’s home around the corner and weren’t able to return until about 4 p.m.

Police escorted school buses in the area Monday afternoon as a precaution and used the code red calling system to alert residents of the police activity.

Tjada Brown lives on Hunting Bow Trail about 10 houses from the incident and said it was a shock to wake up to.

“I was more concerned about having my 19 and 14-year-old children at home and not knowing what was going on,” she said.

“It’s surprising that this is going on and I just hope there’s a peaceful ending.”

Police said there was a woman in the home when the 911 call came in, but she had been out of the house since police arrived. The woman’s relationship to Lynde was not identified Monday.

“She was never a hostage,” Kegler said.

During the event, police said a bomb robot was used, but that was not an indication that bombs were on the scene.

The robot can be used to negotiate or to see in places officers can’t get to, police said.

Contact TONYA ROOT at or 444-1723. Contact MAYA T. PRABHU at 444-1722. Contact AMANDA KELLEY at or 626-0381.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service