Giddy-up for festival
A “Free Family Day” celebration of Chinese New Year marks The Year of the Horse, with myriad events, such as children’s art workshops to create masks, chopstick scrolls and lanterns; face painting with “Big Bird in China” video; mah jong, Chinese opera and Guonian films; tea and fortune cookies; a Chinese market; chopstick lessons; paper folding and Chinese calligraphy; and performances by the Little Lotus Dance Troupe from Charlotte. Also, see these exhibits: “Julyan Davis: Appalachian Ballads,” through March 16, and “FiberArt International 2013” and “State of the Art: Recent Acquisitions from the Permanent Collection,” both through April 24. Details at 238-2510 or www.myrtlebeachartmuseum.org:
Details | 11 a.m.-3 p.m. at Franklin G. Burroughs-Simeon B. Chapin Art Museum (open 10 a.m.-4 p.m.) , 3100 S. Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, across from Midway Par 3 and Springmaid Beach Resort, for free.
Special events abound
Choose from oodles of ideas for outings:
• Myrtle Beach Stamp Club’s annual show, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. (and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday) at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, 101 Fantasy Harbour Blvd., off U.S. 501 and George Bishop Parkway, just west of Myrtle Beach and along Intracoastal Waterway. Free admission and appraisals. 347-0087 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Myrtle Beach Car Club cruise-in, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Creek Ratz, 4065 U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet, for free. Details at 742-9802.
• Barry Kelly book signing, 1-3:30 p.m. at Clock Tower Books, 105 Screven St., Georgetown. 546-8212 or www.factsandfictions.com.
• French Film Festival final day, at Strand Theater, 710 Front St., Georgetown, with “Du Vent Dans Mes Mollets (The Dandelions)” (from 2012 and rated PG-13) at 2 p.m.; “Therese Desqueyroux” (2012 and rated R) 4 p.m.; and “La Bande A Picasso (Picasso’s Gang)” (rated PG-13) 7 p.m., each $6, or $4 for Strand Cinema and Coastal Carolina University Osher Lifelong Learning Institute members. 527-2924 or www.strandcinema.org.
• Carolina Forest High School “ShowCase” Show Choir in annual benefit show, “Southern Nights” 7 p.m. (and 3 p.m. Sunday) at school, 700 Gardner Lacy Road, east of U.S. 501 for $10, helping offset costs for student trip to Florida to compete “Gold Mickey” award at Festival Disney in April. 236-7997 or www.cfhsshows.com.
• “Little Princess Balls,” for girls in kindergarten through fifth grade and their adult male escort, 3-5 p.m. in two Brunswick County sites: Brunswick Center at Southport and South Brunswick Islands Center in Carolina Shores, for $10 per person. 910-253-2670.
• Sixth annual “Chocolate & Champagne for the Creatures,” benefiting SC Coastal Animal Rescue & Educational Sanctuary (SC-CARES) of Georgetown County, 5-9 p.m. at The Cooper House, 6011 Dick Pond Road, Socastee, for $30 individual, or $50 couple. 546-7893 or www.sc-cares.org.
• Theatre of the Republic’s “The Voices Take the Stage” concert, with Tim McGhee as host, and Suade Anderson, Shakira Brockington, Lunda Cornelius, Laura Flint, Jerry Green, Kevin Jayroe, Matthew Johnston, Ellen Leftwich, Emily Martel, Janet Mayers and Heather Whitley, at 7:30 p.m. (and 3 p.m. Sunday), at Main Street Theatre, 335 Main. St., Conway, for $21. 488-0821 or www.theatreoftherepublic.com.
• Beatles tribute concert by The Fab 2 – Brian and Bruce McElroy, 8-11 p.m., Feb. 8 at Hard Rock Cafe at Broadway at the Beach in Myrtle Beach (946-0007 or www.hardrock.com/myrtlebeach), in benefit for Veterans Welcome Home and Resource Center in Little River; no cover charge. www.thefab2.com.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeach