Combustibles near space heater caused clothing store fire in North Myrtle Beach

akelley@thesunnews.comJanuary 8, 2014 

A fire damaged $75,000 worth of structure and damage at the Tango Bay store Jan. 4.

COURTESY PHOTO

Combustible items located too close to a space heater caused a fire at a store at Barefoot Landing in North Myrtle Beach, said city spokesman Pat Dowling.

A fire damaged $75,000 worth of structure and damage at the Tango Bay store Jan. 4.

The tenant had experienced problems with the store’s heating system and used space heaters while waiting for the system to be repaired, Dowling said.

The fire was deemed “unintentional” by investigators with the North Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue Division.

The blaze was contained to the store, though adjacent buildings may have had some smoke damage, Dowling said.

Contact AMANDA KELLEY at 626-0381, or follow her at Twitter.com/TSN_akelley.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service