Conway bank reissues debit cards following Target hack

akelley@thesunnews.comDecember 26, 2013 

  • More information

    Online | Go to www.target.com for updates and responses to frequently asked questions regarding the security breach

    Phone | 1-800-755-5856 is the information line for REDcard holders.

    Source: Target.com

At least two local banks are taking action to help customers who may have been affected by the security breach at Target.

The company said credit and debit card data of 40 million shoppers was compromised in a hack between Nov. 27 and Dec. 15.

Conway National Bank is reissuing debit cards for all existing customers, said Ford Sanders, the bank’s executive vice president and chief financial officer.

“We took steps to protect the bank and our customers,” he said. “We’ve been through these situations before. These breaches and threats are very real.”

Carolina Trust Federal Credit Union also is reissuing debit cards upon request, according to an email to customers.

Meanwhile, The New York Times reported this week that investigators may be one step closer to knowing who was behind the security breach at Target.

On Tuesday, Brian Krebs, the security blogger who first broke the news that Target was breached, said he believed he had identified a Ukrainian man who he said was behind one of the primary black market sites now selling Target customers’ credit and debit card information for as much as $100 a piece.

Sanders said CNB customers should have received a call about the reissuance of debit cards and can call 248-5721 with questions.

Existing cards cannot be used to make purchases as credit. Using a pin, customers can still make debit purchases until the new card is received and activated.

“We didn’t want to totally inconvenience them,” Sanders said. “So long as they use it as a debit card, it will still work.”

Pending credit purchases should not be affected, he said.

The first batch of new cards was put in the mail Christmas Day, he said.

“We want to take steps necessary to protect our customers,” Sander said. “It’s been very well received by our customers. They’ve been very appreciative of our jumping in and aggressively protecting their accounts.”

Target said Monday that it has doubled the number of staffers answering inquiries at its call center and has communicated with 17 million customers via e-mail.

Since disclosing the breakdown last week, the second- largest U.S. discount chain has agreed to give some shoppers free credit reporting, assured them they wouldn’t be responsible for fraudulent charges and offered a 10 percent discount on purchases last weekend to regain their trust.

Bloomberg News contributed to this report.

Contact AMANDA KELLEY at 626-0381, or follow her at Twitter.com/TSN_akelley.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service