LA QUINTA, Calif. — Myrtle Beach’s Roberto Diaz stumbled during Monday’s fifth round of the Web.com Tour Qualifying Tournament.
Diaz struggled to a 5-over 77 on the PGA West Stadium Course, dropping 60 spots into a tie for 83rd at 5-under 355 with one round remaining. He had three double-bogeys, two bogeys and three birdies Monday.
Murrells Inlet’s Zack Byrd shot even-par 72 on the PGA West Jack Nicklaus Course after shooting 78 and 79 in his first two tries on the layout. Due to those struggles, Byrd was is 144th (369) in the 150-player field. He had four birdies, two bogeys and a double-bogey Monday.
Scott Pinckney shot a 4-under 68 on the Stadium Course to take a two-stroke lead at 335 in the tournament, which will determine player priority rankings for the Web.com Tour season.
High school boys basketball
• Socastee 58, (at) Christian Academy of Myrtle Beach 41 | Dylan Thompson had 18 points and Koel Cutler added 15 as the Braves surged past the Saints in the third quarter en route to a win.
Bernard Jones had 22 points and 10 rebounds for Christian Academy in the loss.
• SOCASTEE (58) – Devin Melko 6, Dylan Thompson 18, Brandon Brown 3, Dante Moore 2, Max Kjosa 6, Koel Cutler 15, Adarius McCray 8
• CAMB (41) – Josh Lang 5, Bernard Jones 22, Cole Gore 3, Matt Doria 4, Garrett Richards 7
• 3-point goals: Socastee 4 (Thompson 1, Brown 1, Cutler 1, McCray 1), CAMB 2 (Lang 1, Richards 1). Team fouls: Socastee 13, CAMB 17. Fouled out: None. Technical fouls: None.
• Records: Socastee 6-2, CAMB 4-3
High school volleyball
• Members of the Christian Academy of Myrtle Beach volleyball team received their championship rings at halftime of the boys basketball game Monday.
The Saints won the SCISA Class A title in October.