Sober or Slammer campaign launches in South Carolina Friday

akelley@thesunnews.comDecember 12, 2013 

South Carolina authorities hope to reduce DUI related fatalities this holiday season with the annual Sober or Slammer campaign, according to the S.C. Department of Public Safety.

The “DUI enforcement blitz” kicks off Friday and runs through Jan. 1.

During last year’s campaign, 50 people died in 48 crashes, said Jordan Hix with the Department of Public Safety.

Drunk driving continues to be the leading cause of fatal crashes in South Carolina, Hix said. Preliminary figures indicate overall traffic fatalities in the state are declining in 2013, with 708 compared to 812 at this time last year.

“We are entering this holiday season with much better news than last year,” said SCDPS Director Leroy Smith. “Fatalities in the state are down by more than 100 compared to last year at this time.”

Motorists who suspect someone is driving while impaired are encouraged to report it by calling *HP.

Contact AMANDA KELLEY at 626-0381, or follow her at Twitter.com/TSN_akelley.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service