Dogs, bird not injured in Myrtle Beach house fire

akelley@thesunnews.comDecember 5, 2013 

— Two dogs and a bird were not injured when a house on 36th Avenue North filled with smoke Thursday afternoon.

Lt. Christian Sliker, with Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue, said a pot on a stove caught fire and filled a home on the 500 block of 36th Avenue North with smoke.

The occupants of the house were not home when firefighters arrived and Sliker was not sure who reported the fire. Firefighters were checking the house for smoke damage and Sliker did not know Thursday afternoon if it would be safe for the residents to stay in the house Thursday night.

One of the dogs was in a kennel and the other ran out of the house when firefighters kicked the door in, Sliker said.

Firefighters used masks designed specifically for dogs to administer oxygen to the two canines following the fire. Sliker said Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue got the oxygen masks for dogs about a year ago and also trained firefighters basic emergency response for animals like CPR.

Sliker said he believe the fire Thursday was the first time firefighters used the equipment for a pet.

Contact AMANDA KELLEY at 626-0381, or follow her at Twitter.com/TSN_akelley.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service