Put on your running shoes
The annual RiverTown Reindeer Race, held in downtown Conway at 8 a.m. Dec. 7, will benefit the Red Cross Rescue Racer program. The 5K (3.1 mile) event is directed by the Grand Strand Running Club.
The entry fee is $22 before Dec. 6 and $25 on race day with registration held from 7-7:45 a.m. at the Conway Marina Park on Second Avenue. Pre-registered participants will receive a Reindeer Race T-shirt as long as supplies last. Register online (like I did!) at www.grandstrandrunner.com. Participants are also invited to wear holiday garb like Santa hats or reindeer antlers as they run. I hope to see you at the starting line!
The Red Cross Rescue Racers is the only official charity training team of the Myrtle Beach Marathon and consists of individuals training to run or walk the half (13.1 miles) or full (26.2 miles) Myrtle Beach Marathon in February. In exchange for the professional training received, each member agrees to raise money for the Red Cross. The Coastal SC Chapter of the American Red Cross serves Horry, Georgetown and Williamsburg counties.
Other races this month:
• ‘Misty’s Category 5K’ Race on Dec. 14 at 9 a.m. Held by the Grand Strand Running Club and benefiting Misty “The Hurricane” White, a runner recovering from a collision with a car, and for increased overall awareness for running safety. Race begins at Dirty Don’s at Barefoot Resort Marina, 2051 Bridge View Court, in Barefoot Resort community, near North Myrtle Beach, and going through proximate neighborhoods. Cost is $21.95 in advance; more information from www.mistyscategory5k.com.
• Race into the New Year 5K, Dec. 28 at 8:30 a.m. Held by Risen Christ Lutheran School. Begins at Barefoot Landing’s overflow parking and finishes at the school. Registration closes on Dec. 26 and is $20-$25, depending on when you register. Visit www.risenchristmyrtlebeach.org for more information.
Audition for a play
You don’t have to limit your support for local theater by just going to see productions; you can be in one!
Three area theater productions have auditions in the next month.
• Stage Left Theatre Company, 3064 DeVille St., Myrtle Beach, in The Market Common. Audition 7 p.m. Jan. 5-6 for Neil Simon’s “Barefoot in the Park,” which runs Feb. 20-March 9. 455-6985 or www.stagelefttheatremb.com.
• Swamp Fox Players, Strand Theater, 710 Front St., Georgetown. Audition 6-7:30 p.m. Dec. 8-9 for “The Constant Wife,” a mid-20th-century comedy set in England that runs Feb. 28-March 16. Four women sought for roles in late 20s to early 40s, one woman late 50s to early 70s, and four men late 40s to early 60s. 527-2924, www.swampfoxplayers.com or email@example.com.
• Theatre of the Republic, at Main Street Theatre, 335 Main. St., Conway. Auditions for ages 16 and older only, 7 p.m. Dec. 8-9 for “Monty Python’s SPAMalot” (Feb. 28-March 16). 488-0821 or www.theatreoftherepublic.com.
Train display you don’t want to miss
This past weekend, I took my 2-year-old up to Myrtle Beach mall to check out the Grand Strand Model Railroaders Club train display. Neither of us was disappointed. We spent around two hours at the display, watching the trains, pushing buttons to make helicopters spin around and trains to too, and talking with club members about the awe-inspiring display.
The detail of each display is incredible, even more so when you consider a club member mentioned they still have “about three years of detail work” to put into it.
If you want to check it out (and I highly recommend you do, even if you don’t have children), drive up any Monday between 4-6 p.m., Wednesday between noon-4 p.m. or Saturday between 10 a.m.-5 p.m. for a free stroll through the display.
The mall is at 10177 N. Kings Highway in Myrtle Beach and the club’s site is right outside of Bass Pro Shops.
Call 297-7162 or 293-4386 if you want more information, or you can visit www.gsmrrc.org. The Grand Strand Model Railroaders Club was founded in 1986 in downtown Myrtle Beach with six members. The club is now celebrating its 25th year and has almost 50 members.
Ornament making for kids
The Children’s Museum of South Carolina is offering ornament workshops for kids on Saturdays this December (except Dec. 28) between noon and 1 p.m.
You can also have breakfast with Santa and Frosty at the museum on Dec. 23 at 9 a.m. for $12, which includes activities, crafts and pictures with breakfast by Sea Captain’s House.
The museum is at 2501 N. Kings Highway in Myrtle Beach. Call 946-9469 or visit www.cmsckids.org.
Follow the Kicks! editor on Twitter @MBKicks for daily local events and happenings.