Students at North Myrtle Beach Primary School were taken to another school early Tuesday while emergency crews and school officials inspected the building after smoke was reported inside a classroom, according to authorities.
Students were taken by bus to the North Myrtle Beach Intermediate School where they are being held until emergency crews clear the building, said Teal Harding, Horry County Schools spokeswoman.
Smoke was reported inside the primary school, but no flames or fire was found about 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, said Pat Dowling, spokesman for North Myrtle Beach. Firefighters found that a heating and cooling blower motor had malfunctioned and caused the smoke and a burnt smell inside a classroom.
School buses were diverted to the other school to drop off students and any children who arrived at the school were taken there as well, Harding said. School maintenance officials are inspecting the building and it is unclear how long there will be a disruption at the school.
Similar incidents have occurred at other schools involving the air handling systems malfunctioning after colder temperatures occurred for the first time in the year, Harding said.
Once school officials have determined if building is safe for students they will be bused back to their school, but until then students will remain at the intermediate school, Harding said.
More information will be posted as it becomes available.
Contact TONYA ROOT at 444-1723 or follow her at Twitter.com/tonyaroot.