The climb continues for the Coastal Carolina football team.
With their 55-52 come-from-behind double-overtime win at Liberty on Saturday, the Chanticleers moved up to No. 3 in the FCS Coaches Poll this week while remaining at No. 6 in The Sports Network media rankings.
That ties the 2010 Coastal baseball team for the highest national ranking in school and Big South Conference history.
The Chants (7-0, 2-0 Big South) are one of just four undefeated teams remaining at the FCS level. Coastal, which owns a 12-game regular-season winning streak dating back to last year, passed Sam Houston State in the rankings after the Bearkats dropped from No. 2 to No. 8 following a loss to McNeese State.
• A trio of Chanticleers were honored by the Big South as Lorenzo Taliaferro was tabbed offensive player of the week, Quinn Backus was selected the defensive player of the week and LaDarius Hawthorne was named the special teams player of the week.
Taliaferro rushed for 151 yards and tied the Big South single-game record with four rushing touchdowns, Backus tallied 10 tackles and two tackles for loss and Hawthorne blocked a potential game-tying field goal in Coastal’s win.
CCU women’s soccer
• Coastal Carolina forward Kacey Kelley was named the Big South Conference Attacking Player of the Week.
Kelley scored three goals – two of them game-winners – and dished out one assist in helping the Chanticleers to victories over Campbell and UNC Asheville last week.
High school girls tennis
• (At) Waccamaw 7, Aynor 0 | The Warriors shut out the Blue Jackets.
• Singles – Ally Despain (W) d. Gentry Johnston 6-0, 6-0; Sydney Derrick (W) d. Heleana Toth 6-1, 6-2; Catalina Carr (W) d. Savannah Tiller 6-0, 6-1; Lizzie Farmer (W) d. Mary-Kathryn Tilma 6-2, 6-4; Maddy Middleton (W) d. Kelly Floyd 6-2, 6-0.
• Doubles – Despain/Derrick (W) d. Johnston/Toth 8-3; Lindsay Costin/Caitlyn Kraft (W) d. Mattie Hucks/Shelley Baker 6-4, 2-6, 10-4
Records – Waccamaw N/A, Aynor 8-5, 6-2.