CONWAY The Coastal Carolina men’s soccer team continued its dominance over VMI, beating the Keydets 2-0 on Friday, the Chanticleers’ 16th straight win in the series.
Ricky Garbanzo and Kevin Le Bras scored within 59 seconds of each other in the first half. Garbanzo’s goal came in the 24th minute and Le Bras’ followed in the 25th.
CCU women’s soccer
• Winthrop 1, (at) Coastal Carolina 0 | Taylor Walton scored off a loose-ball situation at the top of the box in the 89th minute as the Eagles escaped with a win.
CCU men’s golf
• JONESBOROUGH, Tenn. The Coastal Carolina men’s golf team shot 3-under 285 and was tied for third after the first round of the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate.
The Chants were eight strokes behind leader East Tennessee State.
Coastal’s Olle Widegren (69) was tied for sixth, Ben Wheeler (70) was tied for ninth, Andrew Dorn (71) was tied for 15th, Chris Williams (75) was tied for 53rd and Peter Valasek (76) was tied for 56th.
• (At) Coastal Carolina 3, Charleston Southern 0 | Lian Bernett had 13 kills and Eszter Nagy and Gabriella Horvath added 10 each as the Chants won 25-11, 25-10, 25-17.
High school volleyball
• (At) Myrtle Beach 3, St. James 1 | Shelby Sheets had 23 kills, Maggie Slabinski had seven aces and the Seahawks (10-3, 6-2 Region VII-AAA) won, 18-25, 25-12, 25-18, 25-21, on Thursday.
• Christian Academy of Myrtle Beach 3, (at) St. John’s Christian Academy 0 | Rebekah Bowers had eight kills, Natalia Antonucci and Taylor Gronde each had seven, Claudia Markley had 19 assists and Amelia Antonucci had 14 assists to lead the Saints 25-12, 25-15, 25-14 on Thursday.
The win capped a perfect 10-0 season in SCISA Region III-A.
“I can’t be more proud of this team. They have stayed on course and look very prepared for next week’s playoffs,” coach Alex Sing said.
• FLORENCE North Myrtle Beach’s Denny Adkins shot a pair of 77s to finish tied for ninth in the 7th Annual Harry Wilson Super Senior Championship on Wednesday at Florence Country Club.
Kiawah Island’s Mike Weiner (73-75–148) won.
Murrells Inlet’s Robert Kinsey tied for 21st (76-83–159).
Conway’s Rich Agle (79-75–154) won the Harry Wilson Flight. Murrells Inlet’s Joe Garnot placed fifth (80-77–157) and North Myrtle Beach’s Al Edwards tied for 18th (82-85–167).
In the John Orr Flight, the area’s Wayne Johnson (Pawleys Island) placed second (84-81–165), Marco Lardi (Pawleys Island( tied for fourth (85-83–168), Don Sheads (Murrells Inlet took eighth (88-83–171), and Eugene Raymond (Pawleys Island, 83-91–174) and Bill Roberts (Myrtle Beach, 84-90–174) tied for 10th.