Pick an outing
Many festivals and special events are lined up:
Children’s book sale, 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at Horry County Memorial Library Socastee branch, 141 707-Connector Road, off S.C. 707 west of S.C. 544. 651-1531, 215-4700 or www.hcml.org.
• St. John’s Greek Festival, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. at St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, at U.S. 17 Bypass and 33rd Avenue North in Myrtle Beach; $1 ages 11 and older, otherwise free. 448-3773 or www.stjohn-mb.org.
• Home Improvement & Outdoor Living Show, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. at Myrtle Beach Convention Center, at Oak Street and 21st Avenue North; $5 ages 17 and older, otherwise free. http://homeimprovementshow.info.
• Atalaya Arts & Crafts Festival, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. at Huntington Beach State Park, open 6 a.m.-10 p.m., on U.S. 17, between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach; $6 ages 16 or older, otherwise free; $10 for multiday pass. Also: free park admission on these days only. 237-4440 or www.atalayafestival.com.
• Skyhoundz Disc Contest, 10-11 a.m. at town of Surfside Beach’s Martin Field, at Dogwood Drive South and Sixth Avenue South; free. 770-751-3882 or www.skyhoundz.com.
• Fall Festival of Fur, benefiting R.A.C.E (Rescue Animals Community Efforts), 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday (rain date Sunday), in Queen Anne Street Park in Sunset Beach, N.C.; free. 910-548-0402 or www.raceshelter.org.
• Irish Italian International Festival, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. on Main Street in North Myrtle Beach; free admission. 280-5570 or http://parks.nmb.us/Page.aspx?id=78
• Harvest Fest, benefiting St. Michael Catholic School in Garden City Beach, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in Myrtle Beach’s Valor Memorial Garden, at The Market Common on Farrow Parkway; free admission. 651-6795 or http://saintmichaelsc.com.
• Myrtle Beach Car Club cruise-in, noon-3 p.m. at Piggly Wiggly, 4430 U.S. 17 Bypass, Murrells inlet; also, bring bag or can of dog or cat food for pet food bank. 742-9802.
• “Beach Band Blast” marching band competition, 1-8 p.m. at Socastee High School football stadium, on S.C. 707, near Dick Pond Road; $6. 293-9054 or www.socasteebandprograms.org.
• Meet Ron Wing, author of “Skip and Scooter Adventures” children’s novels, 1-3 p.m. at My Sister’s Books, 13057 Ocean Highway (U.S. 17), Litchfield Beach. 235-9618 or www.mysistersbooks.com.
• Hot Rod Promotions cruise-in, 1-4 p.m. (and on Oct. 3) at Jamin’ Leather, 1222 Port Drive, Myrtle Beach, off U.S. 17 Bypass, one mile south of Harrelson Boulevard/George Bishop Parkway. 503-8245.
• “Not Your Mama’s Zumbathon,” benefiting St. Jude Children’s Research Hospitalwww.stjude.org, 2-5 p.m. in North Strand Park, 120 S.C. 57 S., Little River, at S.C. 9; $10. 283-0242heroesforhopeUS@gmail.com.
• “Brew at the Zoo,” 5:30-8:30 p.m. (rain date Sunday) at Brookgreen Gardens, on U.S. 17, between Murrells Inlet and Litchfield Beach; $35 members, otherwise $40, and $15 designated driver. 235-6016, 800-849-1931 or www.brookgreen.org.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeach