Slate of special events
Consider the oodles of local festivals and special events, including:
• Yard sale to benefit Horry County’s Academy for the Arts, Science and Technology theater department, 7 a.m.-2 p.m. in lot at 895 International Drive, just northwest of S.C. 31 and Myrtle Beach. 903-8460.
• South Atlantic Shrine Association Fall Festival, including parade 9 a.m. southward on Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach, between 12th and 29th avenues South, and free health screenings for children with a bone, muscle or joint condition, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce, 1201 N. Oak St., Myrtle Beach. www.southatlanticsa.org.
• S.C. Sea Grant Beach Sweep/River Sweep, 9 a.m.-noon at about 20 sites such as Myrtle Beach State Park, with free park admission for participants (238-0874 or www.myrtlebeachsp.com). 843-953-2078 or www.scseagrant.org.
• Seacoast Artists Guild of South Carolina Arts & Crafts Festival, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. in Myrtle Beach’s Valor Memorial Garden, at The Market Common. Free. 232-7009 or www.seacoastartistsguild.com.
• Harvest Hoe-Down Festival, in Aynor Town Park, off U.S. 501, including parade 10 a.m., music 11 a.m.-6 p.m., and street dance 7-10 p.m. with Josh Brannon Band. Free. 358-1074 or www.aynorharvesthoedown.org.
• “Archery for Kids Day,” for ages 8-19, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. (registrations ends 1:30 p.m.) by Sandune Archery Club at Socastee Recreation Park, 7485 Butler Road, off Enterprise Road. $5 entry. 907-1766 or www.sandunearchery.com.
• “Remembering Myrtle Beach: A Local History Series,” with guest speakers Randy Anderson, Bo Bryan, Randy Jennings, Bob Joyner, Petesy Reynolds and Dino Thompson – lifelong friends who have lived, loved and worked along the Grand Strand for most, if not all, their lives, 11 a.m. at Myrtle Beach’s Chapin Memorial Library, 400 14th Ave. N., at Kings Highway. Free. 918-1282 or www.chapinlibrary.org,.
• Kids Club – “Gullah Art” workshop, 11 a.m.-noon at Inlet Square Mall, at U.S. 17 Bypass and U.S. 17 Business in Murrells Inlet, in part y room, next to J.C. Penney. Free. 651-6990 or www.inletsquaremall.com.
• Myrtle Beach Car Club cruise-in, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Creek Ratz, 4065 U.S. 17 Business, Murrells Inlet. Free. 742-9802.
• “Rivertown Dine-Around” culinary tour of downtown Conway, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., with restaurants each offering a sampler menu with items generally $2-$4. Free admission, but reservations requested. 248-6260 or http://conwayalive.com.
• Fin Fest marching band competition, 4 p.m. at St. James High School Sharks’ football stadium, off S.C. 707 and Salem Road, in Burgess community. $5. 650-5600.
• Reception 4-6 p.m. to open exhibit by two Pawleys Island painters – Patricia Givens and Brenda Lawson – in The Rice Museum’s Prevost Gallery, 633 Front St., Georgetown. 546-7423 or www.ricemuseum.org.
• Rivertown Bluegrass Society concert by Subject to Change Band, and The Southern Gentlemen, 5 p.m. at Horry-Georgetown Technical College Burroughs & Chapin Auditorium, off U.S. 501 in Conway. $10 members, otherwise $12. 457-2854 or www.rivertownbluegrasssociety.com.
• Sav-R-Cats Ball benefit, with cocktail hour 6 p.m., dinner 7 p.m., and entertainment 8-10 p.m., at Sand Ocean Club Resort, 9550 Shore Drive, Myrtle Beach; $45 individual or $80 couple. 222-8057, 997-8701, 361-8434 or www.sav-r-cats.com.
• Grand Strand Beach Social Dance season-opening dance, 7-10 p.m. at Grand Strand Senior Center, 1268 21st Ave. N., Myrtle Beach. $7. 903-3765.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeach