The Piggly Wiggly in Pawleys Island has been bought and will become a Bi-Lo grocery store, though when the transition will take place hasn’t yet been determined.
Bi-Lo Holdings, parent of the Bi-Lo and Winn-Dixie chains, has acquired the Pawleys Island store at 115 Willbrook Blvd. and 21 others in South Carolina and Georgia, the company announced Thursday.
The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter, said Brian Wright, spokesman for Bi-Lo Holdings. A timetable for switching the stores hasn’t yet been determined, he said.
The Pawleys Island store is the only one along the Grand Strand included in the deal, which involved 16 stores in South Carolina and six in Georgia with a combined 1,200 employees. Financial terms of the deal weren’t disclosed.
“We look forward to welcoming these new associates to the Bi-Lo Holdings family and to building on the strength of these stores,” Randall Onstead, president and CEO of Bi-Lo Holdings, said in a news release. “We will continue to fine-tune our company and network of stores so that we can reinvest in what matters most for our customers...the freshest foods, the best deals and really connecting to their neighborhoods.”
Bi-Lo already has about seven stores stretching from North Myrtle Beach to the Murrells Inlet area, according to its website.
Piggly Wiggly will still have a presence along the Grand Strand, with stores in Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach, Murrells Inlet and Georgetown, according to the website.
“Piggly Wiggly has an outstanding reputation, and the efforts of their talented associates have played a key role in making these stores such an important part of the communities they serve,” Wright said in an email. “We look forward to meeting with our new associates, exchanging ideas and working together to run great stores. This agreement will build on the strength of our Bi-LO stores in South Carolina and coastal Georgia and allow us to provide the freshest foods and the best deals to a broader customer base.”
The Piggly Wiggly stores that were acquired and will become Bi-Los:
• 3386 Railroad Avenue, Bamberg, S.C.
• 50 Burnt Church Road, Bluffton, S.C.
• 445 Meeting Street, Charleston, S.C.
• 630 Skylark Drive, Charleston, S.C.
• 136 South Main Street, Clover, S.C.
• 4711-1 Forest Drive, Columbia, S.C.
• 104 Jungle Road, Edisto Beach, S.C.
• 3353 Highway 72/221 East, Greenwood, S.C.
• 3575 Maybank Highway, Johns Island, S.C.
• 9616 Highway 78, Ladson, S.C.
• 760 Highway 378, Lexington, S.C.
• 4360 Augusta Road, Lexington, S.C.
• 208 East McIntyre Street, Mullins, S.C.
• 115 Willbrook Boulevard, Pawleys Island, S.C.
• 518 North Wheeler Avenue, Prosperity, S.C.
• 615 Harry C Raysor Drive South, St Matthews, S.C.
• 1338 North Way, Darien, Ga.
• 4415 Augusta Street, Garden City, Ga.
• 312 South Main Street, Glennville, Ga.
• 1042 US Highway 80 West, Pooler, Ga.
• 2142 East Victory Drive, Savannah, Ga.
• 7360 Skidaway Road, Savannah, Ga.
Contact DAWN BRYANT at 626-0296 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow her at Twitter.com/TSN_dawnbryant.