MYRTLE BEACH — Former Myrtle Beach Mayor Mark McBride toyed with the idea of another run for mayor last week, submitting and then withdrawing his statement of candidacy within hours on Friday.
McBride served as mayor from 1998 to 2006 before losing to current Mayor John Rhodes. He attempted to regain his seat in 2009, but lost to Rhodes again.
McBride picked up the application packet around 8:30 a.m. Friday and submitted it just before filing ended at noon, said city clerk Joan Grove.
Filing had been open for two weeks.
“He stayed in the building and had some conversations [with people in City Hall], and withdrew about an hour to an hour-and-a-half later,” Grove said.
When asked in June if he planned to run, McBride said he had no intention.
He said he decided to file because of a desire to see changes in Myrtle Beach.
Why, then, did he choose to withdraw his candidacy within hours of filing?
“A decision was made not to do it at this time,” he said. “It just wasn’t the right time.”
McBride declined to elaborate. The seats of incumbents Rhodes and councilmen Wayne Gray, Mike Lowder and Randal Wallace are up for election, and all four will attempt to retain their positions on the council.
Rhodes is running for his third term as mayor of Myrtle Beach and will be challenged by Bill Howard, Robert Palmer and Jerry Fout.
Former Myrtle Beach mayoral candidate Keith Van Winkle and Community Appearance Board member Jackie Vereen also filed to run for council, vying for one of the seats held by Gray, Lowder and Wallace.
Contact MAYA T. PRABHU at 444-1722 or follow her at Twitter.com/TSN_MPrabhu.