Various special events
Choose from several special events:
• Locals’ Appreciation Day 10 a.m.-5 p.m. at Apache Family Campground Pier, 9700 Kings Road, just north of Myrtle Beach. Details at 497-6486, 800-553-1749 or www.apachefamilycampground.com/pier.php.
• War of 1812 seminar by Steven Smith on the burning of Washington from Aug. 24, 1814, 10:30-11:30 a.m. at Horry County Memorial Librray Surfside Beach branch, 410 Surfside Drive. www.firstcolledge.us, or reach library at 205-5280 or www.hcml.org.
• Back to School Block Party noon-4 p.m. in Myrtle Beach’s Futrell Park, off Mr. Joe White Avenue, between Oak Street and Grissom Parkway. 712-1977 or www.bgclubgs.org.
• Sav-R-Cats fundraiser, noon-4 p.m. at Myrtle Beach Indoor Flea Market, on South Kings Highway, in Glenmark plaza, across from north end of Myrtle Beach State Park. Bring donations of Purina Naturals cat food, laundry detergent, cat toys, Dawn dish detergent, and paper towels. 283-1867.
• Palmetto Street Rollergirls, in flat-track roller derby bout against Carolina Bootleggers, benefiting American Cancer Society, 6 p.m. at Dream Land Skating Arena, 4475 Privetts Road, east of U.S. 701, north of Conway. $10 adults (or $8 advance at www.palmettostaterollergirls.com), and $6 children and seniors. Reach rink at 369-2055 or www.dreamlandskatingarena.com.
Youth bowling parties
Two bowling alleys have annual youth bowling celebrations:
• Kids’ Day, 10 a.m.-noon at Surfside Bowl Entertainment Center, 510 U.S. 17 Business N., Surfside Beach, for children from Horry and Georgetown counties, including free bowling, magician, clown/balloon artist, and karaoke. Details at 238-2695 or www.surfsidebowlingcenter.com.
• “Bowling Blast Off and Kids’ Fest,” 1-4 p.m. at Waccamaw Bowling Center, 101 Gray Drive, west of Myrtle Beach, off U.S. 501 and River Oaks Drive, includes two free games of bowling and free shoe rental for youth, as well as games, prizes, giveaways, face painting and mascots. 236-1020 or www.waccamawbowling.com.
Join Strand Cinema
See “Trance,” from 2013, and “The Sapphires” (2012), with the Strand Cinema group. Details at 325-4190 or www.strandcinema.org.
Details | 2:30 and 7 p.m., respectively at Strand Theater, 710 Front St., Georgetown; each $5 for Strand Cinema members, otherwise $7.
‘Myrtle Beach Live!’
Catch a final edition of the “Myrtle Beach Live!” comedy show, before an inaugural season of plays begins Sept. 12 with “Steel Magnolias.” Details at 232-0339 or www.stagelefttheatremb.com.
Details | 8 p.m. at Stage Left Theatre Company, 3064 DeVille St., Myrtle Beach, in The Market Common, Myrtle Beach, between Nevers and Lewis streets, for $10.
The Oceanfront Merchants Association presents concerts on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays during “Hot Summer Nights,” next with Crashbox, playing rock music. Details at www.myrtlebeachdowntown.com.
Details | 8-11 p.m. in Myrtle Beach’s Plyler Park, at Mr. Joe White Avenue and North Ocean Boulevard, for free.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeach