CNB Kickoff Classic canceled because of inclement weather

From staff reportsAugust 16, 2013 

The 24th Annual CNB Kickoff Classic set for Friday night at Myrtle Beach’s Doug Shaw Memorial Stadium has been canceled due to the threat of inclement weather moving into the area.

The event, which was set to hold five scrimmages between the nine Horry County teams and Waccamaw, will not be made up. It is the first time in the event’s history that it will not be played.

“We felt like we were running the risk of having a repeat of last year’s fiasco at Conway High School, where inclement weather forced teams to sit on buses for long periods of time,” Myrtle Beach coach Mickey Wilson said. “Therefore, in keeping the safety of everyone involved in mind, we decided the best decision was to cancel.”

Said CNB Kickoff Classic coordinator: “I know we all may be disappointed, but we certainly abide by the schools’ decision.”

Godwin said his initial plans are to keep the 25th annual CNB Kickoff Classic in 2014 at Doug Shaw Memorial Stadium, although nothing has been finalized as of yet.

Nine of the teams playing in the CNB are opening their regular seasons next week and are moving on to begin preparation for those games.

The eight-team Carvers Bay Jamboree, set to begin at 6 p.m. Saturday, was still on as scheduled as of Friday evening. The Bears will be joined by area teams Waccamaw and Georgetown, as well as a number of other out-of-area schools.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service