‘9 to 5’ musical opens
Two local theaters have productions:
• Theatre of the Republic premieres its 44th season with “9 to 5: The Musical” with shows at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 16-17, 22-24 and 29-31; and 3 p.m. Aug. 18, 24-25 and 31, and Sept. 1, at Main Street Theatre, 337 Main St., Conway, for $21; also, season and flex tickets available for $115, $218, $415 or $580. Details at 488-0821 or www.theatreoftherepublic.com.
• Stage Left Theatre Company, 3064 DeVille St., Myrtle Beach, in The Market Common, Myrtle Beach, between Nevers and Lewis streets, continues weekend shows “Big Time ‘80s” 7:30 and 9:30 p.m. Fridays through Aug. 23, and “Myrtle Beach Live!” comedy show 8 p.m. Saturdays, each $10. 232-0339, 455-6985 or www.stagelefttheatremb.com.
Join Fred Myers at noon for a free program, “Coincidence or Pattern? – The Discovery of the Planets.” Also, Ingram Planetarium remains in summer mode, opening at 11 a.m. Mondays-Saturdays through Sept. 2, with a schedule of Sky Theater shows. Details at 910-575-0033 or visit www.museumplanetarium.org:
• “Legends of the Night Sky” (for half-price admission), “Undiscovered Worlds” at 1 p.m., “Dynamic Earth” 2 p.m., “Oasis in Space” 3 p.m. and “Seven Wonders” 4 p.m., each followed by a live star show.
• Various laser music shows at 5, 6 and 7 p.m. Thursdays-Saturdays.
Details | 7625 High Market St., Sunset Beach, N.C., per theater show: $8 ages 13-61, $7 ages 62 and older, $6 ages 3-12), and free ages 2 and younger.
‘Life of Pi’ screening
Adults and seniors are invited to catch a movie every Friday, next with “Life of Pi,” starring Suraj Sharma and rated PG. Details at 918-2380.
Details | 3 p.m. at Myrtle Beach Base Recreation Center, 800 Gabreski Lane, near Farrow Parkway and The Market Common, for free.
Weekly concert series
Pick a Friday summer concert series:
• “Live After Five!” 5-9 p.m. with CoCo Loco Party Band, by wave pool at Wild Water & Wheels, 910 U.S. Business S., Surfside Beach, for $9.95 for ages 3 and older; park opens 10 a.m. daily, with all-day rates available. Details at 238-3787 or www.wild-water.com.
• Ocean Isle Beach Concert Series, 6:30-8 p.m. Fridays through August, next with Steve Owens and Summertime, outside Museum of Coastal Carolina, 21 E. Second St., Ocean Isle Beach, N.C., for free. http://oceanislebeach.com/free-summer-concerts-music-events-ocean-isle-beach/.
• “Sounds of Summer,” 7-9 p.m. third Fridays through September in city’s McLean Park, 93 Oak Drive, south of Main Street, between First and Second avenues South, next with Pam Taylor Band. 280-5570, ext. 1, or http://parks.nmb.us/Page.aspx?id=18.
• “Friday Night Lights” through August, next with Josh Phillips, at 9 p.m. at The Boathouse Waterway Bar & Grill, 201 Fantasy Harbor Blvd., along the Intracoastal Waterway, just west of Myrtle Beach, off U.S. 501, next to the Clarion Hotel; no cover charge. 903-2628 or www.boathousemb.com.
Senior dance finale
The city of Myrtle Beach’s senior dance series, a hit every winter, concludes its summer edition. Snacks are available for purchase. Details at 918-2381 or www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com. Reservations also accepted at 570-655-1558.
Details | 7-10 p.m. at Myrtle Beach Base Recreation Center, 800 Gabreski Lane, near Farrow Parkway and The Market Common, and the Horry-Georgetown Technical College Grand Strand Campus, for $7.
For a complete list of upcoming events, festivals and shows, visit MyrtleBeach