Proposed change ruffles neighborhood

sjones@thesunnews.comJuly 26, 2013 

  • More information

    If you go

    What | Public meeting on proposed Cameron Village planned development district changes

    Where | Meeting room, South Strand Recreation Center, 9650 Scipio Lane

    When | 7 p.m. Tuesday

— Residents at Cameron Village who are upset about proposed changes to the development’s planned development district may find that builder Beazer Homes has made concessions that could lessen their concern.

Horry County Councilman Bob Grabowski said he didn’t know the specifics, but he believes that Beazer has made concessions on the size of lots it originally wanted to create and included open space in the plan because neighbors said they didn’t like the original proposal.

Beazer wants to reduce the number of 10,000-square-foot lots and increase the number of 7,500-square-foot lots in the development, according to a news release from Horry County about a public meeting to discuss the proposal.

Grabowski said he doesn’t think Cameron Village residents are yet aware of the changes to the proposal.

Councilman Gary Loftus, who along with Grabowski plan to attend the meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday, said he thinks the change will affect only one street in the development.

Loftus said that county staff and the Beazer representatives will be at the meeting to discuss the requested changes. Afterwards there will be time for questions and answers.

Beazer could not be reached for comment.

Loftus said that he assumes, but doesn’t know for sure, that Beazer wants to make the change for economic reasons. Smaller lots will allow more homes to be built in the same overall footprint.

Presumably, the prospect of more neighbors and the smaller lot sizes has neighbors concerned.

“I know that some of the homeowners are pretty upset about it,” Grabowski said.

Changes to the PDD must be approved by the Horry County Council.

Online boomers

Many believe that older Americans are Internet shy, but a new study by an online mortgage broker showed that 35 percent of online mortgage applications in 2012 were made by those 50 years old and older.

The study by MortgageMarvel.com surveyed 650,000 mortgage applications and 1,100 U.S. lending institutions and showed that 24 percent of the online applications from those 50 and older were for home purchases while the remaining 76 percent were for refinancing.

The buying/refinancing ratio was weighted more heavily toward buying for people ages 19 to 39, according to MortgageMarvel.com, while in the 40 to 49 age group, 28 percent were for purchase and 72 percent for refinancing.

Beautiful

Kings Grant Villas at Second Avenue North and Oak Street in North Myrtle Beach won the July appearance award from the Keep North Myrtle Beach Beautiful Commission.

Kings Grant homeowner Freta Meeks, who is a landscaper, designed and installed the plantings at the entrance to Kings Grant Villas, according to information from the city.

Contact STEVE JONES at 444-1765.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service