Medieval Times in Myrtle Beach area spruces up for 19th season

dbryant@thesunnews.comJune 11, 2013 

— Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament is headed into its 19th summer in Myrtle Beach with a spruced-up castle that includes new hardwood floors and seats, refurbished murals and even a restored drawbridge at the venue’s entrance.

The 1,257-seat theater, which launched a new show last summer, spent $1 million during the off season freshening up the 80,000-square-foot venue, which opened June 12, 1995 in Fantasy Harbour off U.S. 501.

“We want to keep the castle looking great, refresh the beauty of the property,” spokeswoman Jennifer Willard said.

The improvements ranged from the routine -- painting, new lighting and hardwood floors replacing tile and carpet -- to ones unique to the castle, including the restored drawbridge, new Knights of the Realm flags and new Medieval weapons displays.

The murals throughout the castle also were touched up by local artists, and one in the nightclub area that had been covered with wood paneling through previous renovations was uncovered and restored.

After the busy summer season, crews will overhaul the restrooms.

The theater expects another solid summer, fresh off the significant upticks last year with the introduction of the new show.

“We’ve maintained that momentum and enthusiasm,” Willard said.

Contact DAWN BRYANT at 626-0296 or at dbryant@thesunnews.com or follow her at Twitter.com/TSN_dawnbryant.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service