Conway man facing murder charge in 2011 shooting, arrested on assault, burglary charges

troot@thesunnews.comMay 3, 2013 

Keir Lamont Johnson

— A Conway man, who already faces charges in the 2011 shooting death of a 19-year-old woman, remains jailed on charges in an assault that occurred Sunday, according to authorities.

Keir Lamont Johnson, 22, of Conway was booked into J. Reuben Long Detention Center at 1:20 a.m. Sunday on charges of first-degree assault and battery; third-degree assault and battery; first-degree burglary; malicious damage to personal property with a value of $2,000 or less; petty larceny with a value under $2,000; and trespassing, according to jail records.

Johnson was charged Dec. 1, 2011, with murder in the shooting death of 19-year-old Shaquille Pertelle, who died after she was shot Nov. 8 that year at a home outside of Conway off Secondary Highway 548. That charge is pending.

Another man also was charged in Pertelle’s death. When police arrived around 3 a.m. Nov. 8, 2011, they found the front door of the home had been forced open and Pertelle was dead inside, Horry County police Sgt. Robert Kegler said at the time. Several gunshots had been fired in the house, but Pertelle was shot once.

In the most recent incident, Conway police were called about 1 a.m. Sunday to 1133 Duckett Street for a domestic disturbance involving a knife, according to a report. Officers found a 20-year-old woman with blood on her shirt and forehead running toward them in the street and she screamed that Johnson had tried to stab her with a knife, police said.

The victim told police Johnson ran behind an apartment building and officers saw someone run into an apartment, according to the report. The officer met the woman living there and she screamed a man was in the bedroom. The officer saw him and told him to stop, but the man ran out the front door.

Officers chased after the man until he fell and was taken into custody, according to the report. The victim told police she had dated Johnson for a few months, but they broke up in January.

The victim said a few weeks before Sunday she was in Longs with another man when Johnson came in, chased the other man way and assaulted her, but she did not report that incident to police, according to the report. The victim said Johnson walked into her cousin’s apartment Sunday, asked her to reconsider their relationship and then took her cellphone and other items from the couch. The victim said Johnson pushed her into the television and tried to put her head into the wall, according to the report. The victim said she grabbed some scissors to defend herself and Johnson pulled out a knife.

Contact TONYA ROOT at 444-1723 or follow her at Twitter.com/tonyaroot.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service