• Horry County Democratic Party executive committee will meet, Monday, in the jury room of the Horry County Justice Center on 2nd Avenue in Conway. The meeting begins at 6:00 pm with registration beginning at 5:30. All ECs and alternates, orecinct officers and others are urged to attend. For more information, call Nancy Anderson, CPD secretary , 843-347-2306.
• North Strand Democratic monthly meeting, March 12, second Tuesday of each month, 6-7 p.m., Mick & Mikes Sports Bar, 1008 Highway 17 S, North Myrtle Beach, 843-272-4378. For information, contact Brian or Roberta, 843-272-6454.
• South Enders, March 14 second Thursday of each month, 6 p.m. The Borgata Restaurant, 813 Surfside Drive, Surfside Beach. Guest speaker is Steve Skardon, executive director of the Palmetto Project, an independent non-profit that identifies innovative approaches to social and economic challenges facing South Carolina, and puts them into action. For more information, contact Joan Furlong by e-mail at email@example.com or visit them on the web at http://www.southenders.org.
• Democratic Women’s Council of Horry County, March 21, third Thursday of each month, 5:30 p.m., Martin's Restaurant, 7200 North Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach. For more information, contact Pam Heller 843-497-5020 or firstname.lastname@example.org
West Side Democrats, March 28, fourth Thursday of the month, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Horry County Democratic Party Headquarters, 900 4th Avenue in downtown Conway. For more information, contact the CPD office at 843-488-4237.
Happy Hour, March 28, 5 - 7 pm. Pine Lakes Tavern, 5201 N. Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach. For more information contact Judy Parker 843-839-3811.
The Democratic Women’s Council of Horry County is sponsoring its annual scholarship essay contest for 2013. This year’s essay theme is “Democrats Represent Me Because…”
Graduating high school seniors and undergraduate college students who are registered voters in Horry County are eligible to enter to win one of two $1,000 scholarships. The Democratic Women’s Council scholarship program has awarded more than $20,000 in scholarships since it began in 2007.
Essays must be received no later than April 5. Contest application and a complete set of rules and criteria are available at the DWCHC website, www.dwchc.com. Information is also available by contacting essay committee chair Milly Vaughn at email@example.com.
A booklet containing all the winning essays will be published, with ad sales in the booklet and other fundraising activities of the council going to support the scholarships.
For more information about the scholarship contest or booklet, contact Sally Howard at 455-1936 or by email at SallyPHoward@aol.com.
• The 2013 County Council Chair Republican Primary Election will be on Tuesday .
Polls will be open from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. and registered voters waiting in line at 7 p.m. will still be allowed to vote. Registered voters must show any one of five forms of identification to vote: S.C. driver’s license, S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles identification card, voter’s registration card with picture, federal military identification with picture or a U.S. passport.
The last day to vote absentee in the Horry County Registration and Elections Office, 1515 4th Ave. in Conway, is March 11.
• Rep. Tom Rice, has a mobile-office outreach hosted by field representative Tom Keegan. The office, at Waccamaw Regional Council of Governments Office, 1230 High Market St., in Georgetown, will be open the second Wednesday of each month beginning . Hours will be noon to 3:30 p.m.
Sessions are designed to provide constituents of the Seventh Congressional District greater access to Rice’s office. Rice encourages constituents who need assistance with a federal agency and/or who would like to voice their opinion on legislative issues to participate in this mobile-office outreach.
• The Greater Carolina Forest Republican Women's Club will meet on 10 a.m. Monday at Longbeard's Restaurant, 5040 Carolina Forest Blvd. The keynote speaker will be Charm Altman, president of the South Carolina Federation of Republican Women. Altman will discuss topics including the recent National Federation of Republican Women's Board meeting and items of concern and interest to South Carolina Republicans.
Judy Clarke, President of the Georgetown Republican Women also will. Everyone is invited to attend.
Men are welcome and may join the club as associate members. There will be a $5 breakfast buffet available. If you have any questions about the club or this meeting please contact Jan McDonald at 236-7799 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Horry County GOP will have 2013 precinct reorganization meetings on Thursday on March 21, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at various locations. The make up date for precinct reorganization will be March 28 at 6 p.m. at HCGOP Headquarters at the Founders Centre, 2411 Oak Street, Myrtle Beach.
The precinct reorganization will be the topic in five locations:
-- North Myrtle Beach at J Byron Floyd Recreation Center, 1030 Possum Trot Rd, North Myrtle Beach site mangers are Cleo Steele 843-249-3490 and Terry Fletcher 843-655-2088.
-- Myrtle Beach precincts First Baptist Church, 500 4th Avenue, Myrtle Beach, S.C. Site managers: Mallory Morris 843-457-9435 and Johnnie Bellamy 843-488-4445
-- Carolina Forest Precincts, Grand Strand Baptist Church, 350 Hospitality Lane, Myrtle Beach. Site leaders are Jan McDonald 843-236-7799 and Sara Owid 843.236.3447.
-- South Strand precincts, Burgess Recreation Center, 10299 Hwy 707, Myrtle Beach. Site managers: Chuck Ottwell 843-651-8030 and Liston Wells 843-457-3004;
Aynor / Conway, Sidewheeler, 110 Main Street (Under the Bridge), Conway.
Site managers: Sandra Doyle 843-241-1859 and Paul Grimm 843-365-1151,