Erin Go Bragh! I have to be honest, I had to look that one up. Although I’ve heard the expression on numerous occasions, I had no idea what it meant. Turns out it’s a Gaelic expression used to express allegiance to Ireland, which I fully intend to do with a beer or two at a couple of the events taking place over the next few weeks:
• The Town of Surfside Beach is holding a BBQ Festival from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Surfside Drive. Admission is free. This event includes food and craft vendors, live music and kids’ activities.
• The 52nd annual Canadian-American Days Celebration begins today and runs through March 17. Events include free concerts and a free festival expo with live entertainment, prize drawings, and exhibitors. Go to http://www.visitmyrtlebeach.com/things-to-do/events/can-am-days/ for the schedule.
• The annual Downtown Myrtle Beach St. Patrick’s Day Festival will take place from noon to midnight on Ocean Boulevard in downtown Myrtle Beach. Admission is free. This event includes live music, Irish food and beer for purchase, a Kidz Zone, games and contests.
• The Market Common is holding its fourth annual Irish Fest from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Admission is free. This event includes Irish food and beer for purchase, live entertainment, kids’ activities and vendors. You might want to bring a chair.
• The North Myrtle Beach St. Patrick’s Day Parade starts at 9 a.m. on Main Street, and is followed by the North Myrtle Beach St. Patrick’s Day festival, which runs until 4 p.m. This event includes live entertainment, food and craft vendors, contests, and a children’s area with rides and games. Admission is free.
• The Piccadilly Circus is coming to the Myrtle Beach Convention Center on Monday and Tuesday with shows at 4:30 and 7:30 p.m. Tickets start at $14 for adults (with the promo code CIRCUS); $8 for kids. Go to http://www.thefuncircus.com/# for more information and to buy tickets.
JULIE HENRY is a freelance writer, editor and project manager. She owns and operates Myrtle Beach on the Cheap. http://www.myrtlebeachonthecheap.com/