North Myrtle Beach man indicted in August double stabbing

troot@thesunnews.comFebruary 15, 2013 

A North Myrtle Beach man was indicted on an attempted murder charge in connection with a stabbing in the city, according to Horry County grand jury indictments released last week.

Mark Paul Shak, 48, remains jailed on $38,000 bond at J. Reuben Long Detention Center where he has been held since being arrested Aug. 18. He was charged with attempted murder and second-degree assault and battery.

The charge stem from Aug. 18 when police found a 64-year-old man on the front porch of a home on Perrin Drive in North Myrtle Beach with a 2 inch wound to his right hand, police said. He told officers he was trying to disarm Shak when he was stabbed in the hand.

In the living room, police found a 62-year-old man laying on his back with a stabbing wound to his neck and a witness helping apply pressure to the cut. Police said the cut was about 6 inches long and was between 0.5 and 1 inch deep on the right side of the 62-year-old man’s neck.

The witness, who did not sustain any injuries, was upstairs when he heard a loud crash on the floor below. He rushed downstairs to find Shak and the 62-year-old man wrestling on the ground, and then watched the older man attempt to help.

The witness was able to disarm Shak, the report said, and then called police at about 11:40 p.m. while Shak fled the home.

North Myrtle Beach police found Shak walking on Perrin Drive and took him into custody.

Contact TONYA ROOT at 444-1723 or follow her at Twitter.com/tonyaroot.

Myrtle Beach Sun News is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service