It’s party time! Between Mardi Gras and the Chinese New Year, there are quite a few fun, festive activities coming up over the next few weeks that are sure to please both kids and adults. And most of them are free. Here’s the list.
Friday and Saturday
• Bass Pro Shop’s Great American Boat Show begins today and runs through Feb. 17. The show includes free boating and fishing seminars, free family activities, and prize giveaways. Go to http://www.basspro.com/ for the schedule.
• The annual Dick’s Last Resort Mardi Gras Parade will take place at Barefoot Landing beginning at 5 p.m. Admission is free. The parade will begin at Greg Norman’s, wind through the shops, and end at Dick’s Last Resort with a Mardi Gras party. Parade participants will be and tossing candy, beads, and other trinkets along the way.
• In Murrells Inlet, the annual Marshi Gras party will begin at 5 p.m. at the restaurants along the Marsh Walk. Admission is free. This event includes food and drink specials, a parade (7 p.m.), live music, and a Mardi Gras costume contest. For more information, see http://marshwalk.com/.
• Broadway at the Beach is holding its annual KidzTime Festival on Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free. This event includes live performances, a farm animal exhibit, fire engine rides, mascot appearances, and more. There will even be a special appearance by Iron Man.
• Since school’s out, the Children’s Museum of South Carolina is hosting a Candy Land event from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tickets are $6 each, which will include museum admission and candy-themed games and activities.
JULIE HENRY is a freelance writer, editor and project manager. She owns and operates Myrtle Beach on the Cheap: www.myrtlebeachonthecheap.com.