The Coastal Carolina men’s basketball team learned Monday night that it will head to Western Carolina on Feb. 23 as part of the Ramada Worldwide BracketBusters lineup.
The BracketBusters event pits midmajor teams from different conferences against each other late in the regular season as schools build their resume for a possible NCAA tournament berth. The Chanticleers (10-10, 5-4 Big South) won’t be in contention for an at-large NCAA berth this season, but the matchup with the Catamounts offers another opportunity to tune up for the Big South Conference tournament.
“I think the one thing is it presents a good game because it’s kind of an inter-conference rivalry -- the Southern Conference vs. the Big South Conference,” CCU coach Cliff Ellis said. “We’re going there first, but it’s also going to be a great return game because people will be familiar with Western Carolina when we play them.”
The matchup is not one of the 13 selected to be broadcast by ESPN. The teams have two seasons to schedule a return matchup, which will take place in Conway.
Western Carolina is off to an 8-14 start with a 5-5 mark in Southern Conference play. The Catamounts are led by junior guard Trey Sumler, who averages 17.8 points per game.
“I don’t at this point know a lot about Western Carolina,” Ellis said Monday night. “I know they played UNC Asheville very close. I know they’ve got a very good coach. When the time comes, it will be an exciting affair. Right now, our thoughts are with Charleston Southern.”
The Chants host Big South-leading Charleston Southern at 7 p.m. Wednesday night inside The HTC Center.
High school boys basketball
• Marion 74, (at) Waccamaw 44 | Adonis Williams scored 17 points for Waccamaw, but it wasn’t enough as the Warriors fell to the Swamp Foxes.
• MARION (74) – Keon Foxworth 9, DJ Kelly 6, LaRon Adams 9, Kevin Rowell 21, Jakari Godbad 2, Dashaun Avant 5, Trevon Alford 2, Terry Wiggins 4, Michael Outlaw 3, Dahanadry Foxworth 4.
• WACCAMAW (44) – Adonis Williams 17, Rob Ferraro 10, Deandre Richardson 2, Matt Fisher 4, Jack Dwyer 2, Corey Pulley 4, Stephon Funnye 5.
• 3-point goals: Marion 4 (K. Foxworth, Rowell, Tyler, Outlaw); Waccamaw (None). Team fouls: Marion 24, Waccamaw 15. Fouled out: None. Technical fouls: None.
• Records: Marion N/A, Waccamaw 5-10.
• (At) Christian Academy 69, Conway Christian 12 | Kendall Henry had 19 points, 10 rebounds and five assists, Austin Guyton scored 16, and the Saints rolled to a win over Conway Christian.
Christian Academy landed 12 three-pointers in the contest.
• CONWAY CHRISTIAN (12) – Daniel Faircloth 2, Bryant Barnhill 3, Ryan McCormick 3, Matt Bigari 4.
• CHRISTIAN ACADEMY OF MYRTLE BEACH (69) – Josh Lang 7, Austin Guyton 16, Bernard Jones 13, Cole Gore 5, Matt Doria 7, Garrett Richards 2, Kendall Henry 19.
• 3-point goals: Conway Christian 1 (Barnhill); Christian Academy 12 (Lang, Guyton 4, Jones 2, Gore, Doria, Henry 3). Team fouls: Conway Christian 9, Christian Academy 6. Fouled out: None. Technical fouls: None.
• Records: Conway (9-6), Christian Academy (19-5, 3-0 SCISA IV)
• (At) Mullins 62, Aynor 24 | The Blue Jackets fell to the Auctioneers on the road.
• AYNOR (24) – G. Harrington 6, H. Windham 5, C. Brown 6, Z. Jenerette 1, C. Buie 6.
• MULLINS (62) – D. Reaves 12, J. Felton 19, N. Powell 3, E. Legette 2, A. Brown 17, N. Potter 2, R. Pumell 5, A. Barch 2.
• 3-point goals: Aynor (Harrington 2, Windham); Mullins 5 (Felton 3, Powell, Pumell). Team fouls: Aynor 14, Mullins 8. Fouled out: None. Technical fouls: None.
High school girls basketball
• Marion 37, (at) Waccamaw 29 | Laquesha Kinney had a team-high 13 points as the Swamp Foxes got past the Warriors.
• MARION (37) – Laquesha Kinney 13; Laquasha Williams 8; Shatora Dunkin 5; Courtney Davis 9; Larissa Gagum 2.
• WACCAMAW (29) – Kayla Boyd 1; Jess Preedom 2; Mary Tyler 10; Jaynae Rice 14; Taylor Foster 2.
• 3-point goals: Marion 1 (Kinney); Waccamaw 2 (Tyler 2). Team fouls: Marion 15, Waccamaw 13. Fouled out: None. Technical fouls: None.
• Records: Marion 8-9 (6-3); Waccamaw 7-10 (3-6).
• (At) Christian Academy 60, Conway Christian 38 | Caroline Gore had a triple-double of 14 points, 13 rebounds and 10 steals, and Simi Oduwole added a double-double of 18 points and 22 rebounds to go along with five steals as the Saints cruised by Conway Christian.
Mary Chandler Butler contributed 13 points, 10 steals and eight rebounds and Haley Gallimore grabbed 15 boards for Christian Academy. Katelyn Jordan added seven points and four rebounds and Carrigan Sanders had six points, four rebounds and three steals for the Saints.